OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Most definitely Equus horse molars. I'm not sure what the fossils look like (preservation colors) from the Cooper River but this one looks more modern than fossil to me. It's always much easier to know a fossil is a fossil when it comes from a species no longer roaming (or galloping) the planet. I've found many alligator osteoderms and teeth in the Peace River (FL) but occasionally they were recently in use by the gators that are still present in that river (saw three of them there yesterday). :)

These may very well be mineralized without much in the way of color change from their original bone white coloration. If you are interested in knowing if these are modern or fossil you can try the flame test. Modern bone (and teeth) still contain proteins in their structure that stink (like burning hair) when a flame is applied to a portion of the object. In permineralized fossils the protein compounds have been degraded and replaced with minerals--they will not give off that characteristic burning smell when a flame is applied.

Cool finds--whether fossil or modern. Some estimates indicate that the Equus horse lineage died out in North America around 7-8 thousand years ago. Having previously spread around the globe and diversifying into a wide range of species (including the Zebra), domesticated horses were returned to the continent in the 1500s by the Spanish. It's a fascinating story. Even if your finds turn out to be "modern" they still could date back hundreds of years.

A (belated) welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

-Ken

It's a well known fact that a small group of Equus evolved into the Zebra family and chose to live exclusively amongst the tourist crowd in Tijuana, Mexico.

20190609_081836.png

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG