Fossil Fish?

Microraptorfan

Hello I was looking for fossils this morning in Durham and found this, I am uncertain as to what this is? I thought maybe plant material or a small fish?

IMG_2719.JPG

I see from the tag that it's Marl Slate (Permian in case anyone's wondering) but it looks more plant than fish. If fish, the scales are usually obvious.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Yeah hence why I'm unsure lol, only thing that made me think it was fish was that fork tail structure

I've been in a quarry up at Middridge, County Durham, which is where this is from. 

Do you know of any other Permian fish quarries that can be accessed other than middridge Quarry?

Edited by Microraptorfan

51 minutes ago, Microraptorfan said:

Yeah hence why I'm unsure lol, only thing that made me think it was fish was that fork tail structure

I've been in a quarry up at Middridge, County Durham, which is where this is from. 

Do you know of any other Permian fish quarries that can be accessed other than middridge Quarry?

Thrislington maybe but it's working and you need to arrange it - I think they only let groups in, if even that now. I haven't been for many years.

Tarquin