Natalie81

Hello, 

I found a piece of bone on the beach from Cap Blanc Nez in France. There it is mainly cretaceous but pleistoceen can also been found. Or maybe it is recent, I really don't know. Any help would be appreciated! 

IMG_20190610_171957.jpg

I'm no expert, especially not experience where you're from. But to me it looks like a recent bone a recent bone that's been in water and become stained black. I can't tell weight though. Does it seem heavy for it's size?

14 minutes ago, leftoversalmon said:

I'm no expert, especially not experience where you're from. But to me it looks like a recent bone a recent bone that's been in water and become stained black. I can't tell weight though. Does it seem heavy for it's size?

Hello, 

Recent is possible, I know. 

I'm just curious of what it could be... I like to learn more about :)

Natalie 

My first thought was antler, but that seems to be wrong on second look because of that round tuberositas near the flat end in the second picture. I can´t tell what it is.

But by the size alone you can narrow it down to just a few groups of animal . The narrow end looks like a long bone, femur , humerus or something. The other end looks quite flat in these pics, so it may belong to a pelvis?

If you consider cretaceous species (depending on the density?)  it could be a marine reptile limb bone, I think those may be rather flat and somewhat triangular.

In cases like that I google combinations of possible species and bones hoping to find a candidate.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

8 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

My first thought was antler, but that seems to be wrong on second look because of that round tuberositas near the flat end in the second picture. I can´t tell what it is.

But by the size alone you can narrow it down to just a few groups of animal . The narrow end looks like a long bone, femur , humerus or something. The other end looks quite flat in these pics, so it may belong to a pelvis?

If you consider cretaceous species (depending on the density?)  it could be a marine reptile limb bone, I think those may be rather flat and somewhat triangular.

In cases like that I google combinations of possible species and bones hoping to find a candidate.

Best Regards,

It could be a piece of a pelvis but I don't think it is cretaceous , probably pleistoceen or recent, hard to say. 

Thank you for the help

Natalie