Pterygotus

Which air scribe to choose?

Kane
4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ive had stalling problems with my aro's but very little.  How much pressure are you running?  I use 110 psi.

RB

100-110 psi, nothing lower.

Phevo

I bought an air scribe two months ago from krantz,

https://www.krantz-online.de/en/online-shop/___showCat/87/___pageid/14/w_224_normal_air_scribe.html

I have had No complains so far, you need a water trap and around 10m of hosing before that besides the compressor of course. 

I looked into getting an Aro clone from the states(100$) , but after shipping costs, import fees and tax it ends up costing the same as what Krantz's unit costs. 

Pterygotus
On 6/12/2019 at 9:24 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

You could start with an Aro clone. I've seen them to be had for around $100 it's not optimal but if you're just getting started, you probably don't want to spend $800 of a high quality scribe. the Aro is a good middle of the road scribe.

I could not find this model anywhere for under £290 so could you please point out where i can find this for sale. Also what exactly does an air scribe do to the matrix to free the fossil?

Ptychodus04
1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

I could not find this model anywhere for under £290 so could you please point out where i can find this for sale. Also what exactly does an air scribe do to the matrix to free the fossil?

Take a look on the world famous auction site (I don’t think we are allowed to actually say the name here). Search for pneumatic engraver. I saw one claiming to be an actual ARO used for $89 USD. Those things were around $500 new if I remember correctly. Another scribe many people use is a CP9361.

Scribes are like miniature jackhammers. They stylus reciprocates and strikes the matrix, chipping off a small piece. Eventually, you remove all the matrix from the fossil.