Terry Dactyll

Hi.... Hope everyone is ok and finding some decent fossils.... I'm really struggling identifying what this could be found in lower Jurassic shales from the sinemurian Somerset coast.... It's such a distinct shape I would of thought it might ring a bell to someone.... I'm thinking a carapace segment or bony fish armour plates perhaps... Any help appreciated....

Thanks....

tapatalk_1558591229844.jpeg

tapatalk_1558591261486.jpeg

tapatalk_1558591250738.jpeg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Steve - still not at all sure but it does remind me of the preservation on some Loligosepia specimens (vampire squid pen), though with that shape it would be just a part of course. The bottom border looks right though.

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Hi Steve - still not at all sure but it does remind me of the preservation on some Loligosepia specimens (vampire squid pen), though with that shape it would be just a part of course. The bottom border looks right though.

+ 1 for somewhat Squid (not necessarly Loligosepia..)

Hi Steve. I’ve absolutely no idea what you’re showing us here, but I just wanted to say that it’s nice to hear something from you again. Everything’s ok with you I assume?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I too have nothing informative to add to your inquiry (well outside my bailiwick) but it put a smile on my face to see your avatar appear on a recent post. Hope all is well in your world and that we get to enjoy more of your welcome input here on the forum. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for your Intrest and kind comments guys.....

....  Squid sounds.very intresting I haven't heard of any specimens from this coast before....are there any relatively recent studies of Jurassic squid fossils giving me a contact to get some further confirmation....

Roger.... All good thanks

• I found this Informative 3

Glad to see you on here, Steve! :) 

We've missed your input!  

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Tim... How's it going?... Good to see you guys are still collecting.... thanks for the welcome....

My first impression was crustacean seeing the preservation status, but I'm unfamiliar with your region's fauna. I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar in the past, but can't remember where, unfortunately. :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hey Steve, good to see you are out and finding oddities!!....

As Lori said above there is a fairly recent thread somewhere that was very very similar. I actually thought when I saw your photo that I was looking at some old post and unfortunately for the life I cant remember what the consensus. Tqb and the others could very well have it pegged again or maybe DE&I's suggestion. 

Would love to see your find compared to that example.

Regards, Chris 

Darren.... That is a weird creature and something to research....

Lori and Chris.... hi there....

Be very interesting if you could remember which post it was or how long ago.... I could have a scroll through...

Thanks.....

On 6/13/2019 at 5:10 AM, Terry Dactyll said:

Darren.... That is a weird creature and something to research....

Lori and Chris.... hi there....

Be very interesting if you could remember which post it was or how long ago.... I could have a scroll through...

Thanks.....

I'm brain dead Steve, seems like it was in the past year or two but times flies when your memory is going. I did some scrolling and cant find it. I cant even remember if I just saw it or actually commented at all.  I wish there was a way this forum had a way to close out ID's that have a level of confidence with specific close codes so that historical searches are easier. Hang in there Lori or someone else with a better memory or more skills might find it. Very likely its the same discussion/answer already provided here......

Regards, Chris 

Chris.... Thanks for taking the time to look... I'm not so sharp myself these days... 

It's looking like Darren is correct it's potentially the carapace of a Thylacocephala similar to Ostenocaris....

Any more details I will update you but a pretty unusual find I haven't come across before... 

No more suggestions so far so the jury's still out on this one.... I've not written off Tarquins original suggestion of some type of squid, recognising the way it's preserved....

Considering how widely collected the lower Jurassic is I am surprised there is nothing comparable held in other collections so potentially something new... Let's hope something similar and complete is found one day.....

Hello Steve!

Have a look at this post. 

This looks quite similar to your item.  

• I found this Informative 3

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Thanks.... That's just the type of creature I thought but the angular notch is very unusual and not known of so far in the fossil record.....

On 6/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Hello Steve!

Have a look at this post. 

This looks quite similar to your item.  

Hey Tim I saw that post and strangely that isnt the one I remember....there is another one out there that had the notch and was so very similar....I just cant find the dang thing...I was hoping someone else would have snagged/remembered it and could find it....darn!

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for taking the time to look everyone.....  Tim and Chris.... If I ever get anywhere with this I will definitely let you know.....

1 hour ago, Terry Dactyll said:

Thanks for taking the time to look everyone.....  Tim and Chris.... If I ever get anywhere with this I will definitely let you know.....

Yep, please do. Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, Terry Dactyll said:

Hey Steve, Thomas (oilshale) just posted this paper

Interesting image in there showing multiple shapes somewhat similar to yours.

f05_69.jpg

Brilliant thanks.... Certainly gives me more options to find an id.... I still reckon it's something new..... 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:02 AM, Terry Dactyll said:

Brilliant thanks.... Certainly gives me more options to find an id.... I still reckon it's something new..... 

Good luck Steve! Shoot those authors some pics...

Regards, Chris 

• 1 month later...

Just an update.... No reply unfortunately.... I couldn't write the email in German so just took a gamble they understood English.... Not always the case but photos speak for themselves..  

One option (crude for sure) is to use something like Google translate to translate your email text into something approximating German before sending. There are ways of improving the automated translation (which often loses things in translation) but it might help in getting a reply.

Cheers.

-Ken