Winner of the May 2019 Vertebrate Fossil Of The Month

digit

It's a real beaut! You need to take more "spontaneous lunch breaks". ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Weil deserved! Absolutely stunning find :thumbsu:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thanks so much!  I feel very honored to get this recognition! This find fulfilled a nearly four-year-old "dream"  -  both figuratively & literally.  Literally, because I had a vivid dream of finding a flawless big Ptychodus tooth just a few days before this find.  Figuratively, because in 2015 after restarting my childhood passion for fossil hunting, I began prospecting the local Eagle Ford (~40' thick here near San Marcos Platform) and ran across my first ever Ptychodus teeth! In 11/2015, one specimen I found was 35mm wide and 25 mm high with root - but with heavily apical wear.  I have since learned a lot about this amazing creature from Shawn Hamm who this year proposes placing it in the novel family Ptychodontiformes.  With my wife often at my side (bless her for trudging through creeks and up steep bluffs with me), the Eagle Ford quickly became a favorite local geologic formation.  I definitely became obsessed with the idea of finding a similar size or larger tooth in better condition. Now, I have found nearly 700 isolated Ptychodus teeth of 10 species in three States (97% in Travis & Hays Counties in Texas) but only five extra 26 mm or wider teeth. It's hard to find those big ones - especially in good condition. Now, this amazing tooth!  Note that I am active as a member of the Paleontological Society of Austin. I've also started showing fossils and rocks at local elementary schools last year to my grandson's and many other classes - what fun!).  Blessings to all of you on your fossil pursuits. Glad to be part of The Fossil Forum. Hope to continue contributing to its goals in the future. Amateur paleontologist and Professional Geologist - L. Schnelle. 

• I found this Informative 2

Congratulations.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks, erose.  After I first saw it on the creek bank, I still had a hard time not thinking that if I closed and opened my eyes, it would have vanished.  That it was just all in my imagination!   But, it was real.  It's so pretty that I'm thinking that Ptychodus must have brushed its teeth and eaten only smaller more tender ammonites! 

Beautiful tooth, congrats :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hi,

Congrats for this marvelous tooth and a well prep.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Fantastic find! Congrats on the win! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 2 weeks later...

I keep forgetting to kook at this fossil forum post category FOTM. Congratulations!  Lovely tooth specimen. 

• Fossildude19 unfeatured this topic