Purse park md one interesting find

Ted37

Tried purse again high tide was coming on so a miserable walk back through the water. Found a few decent teeth nothing big. Most ate dinged up. Any ways I have two I would appreciate assistance on. One is the tooth on my pinkie. The other I photographed each side.  Thanks?

IMG_20190612_165624727.jpg

IMG_20190612_165356543.jpg

On 6/13/2019 at 7:14 AM, Ted37 said:

Which one pic 2 and 3? When I googled bog iron it looks nothing like any of my pics

I've been working for over 5 years with a researcher, Dr. Weems, studying bog iron deposits along the Potomac River.  Dr. Weems, a USGS emeritus, studied and wrote numerous papers on formations up and down the East Coast.  We've been collecting bog iron footprints from two of the different bog iron exposures.  Bog iron is extremely common in a good number of sites along the Potomac River.  Bog iron has a number of classic forms and has a variety of colors from yellow, to orange, to light tan, to brown and dark brown, to red, to almost black etc.  Both of your specimens are bog iron, not fossils.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Ok, thanks. I thought they both looked pretty interesting, with the one looking like it has enamel on it.

I love bog iron! It's just a really cool kind of rock. Sometimes it looks like fossils, other times it looks like colorful, abstract art. This is one I found in VA. The base "base of the sculpture" is at least 3 feet across the long axis. Another, of which I shamefully did not take a picture, had two layers of iron separated by hollow, iron pillars created by gasses bubbling up from the lower layer when it was, in fact, a bog.

IMG_3479.thumb.jpg.16debaad427cea3abc662f0975e20b72.jpg

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Thanks for the replies. I finally had the chance to look at everything  I found that day. That one piece on the left looks a lot like iron (bog?)  to me. It was my best day so far at purse. 

IMG_20190613_163725384.jpg