help with shark teeth ID?

Chippewa

Trying to do some organizing and labeling of these teeth that I have collected over the past 10 years.  But first....  I'm hoping for confirmation of my opinions on some and help with a few that I'm not sure about.  Most of these are from the Suwannee River but a few of the Makos are from Venice FL about a mile offshore in 17-23 feet of water.  Thank you!

Pretty confident of Mako for the group of six.

Pretty confident of Auriculatus for the single (heartbreaker) (a very rare find for me from the Suwannee - by far the largest and brightest color shark tooth I've found there)

Not sure about the two that resemble sand tiger or (mackerel?)  I don't think they are sand tiger.

Not sure about the two that have small cusp lets.  I don't think they are Auriculatus

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

58 minutes ago, Chippewa said:

Not sure about the two that have small cusp lets.  I don't think they are Auriculatus

Hi there, if these are from the same river, the Suwannee river, then they should be Rics. Eocene in age.

As for the larger lowers that you have they are not sand tiger. They are also 'mako' teeth. Isurus sp. 

Not as familiar with the species at that time period but we have Isurus desori here in South Carolina that resemble this. I. praecursor also is from the Eocene.

Cheers,

Brett

48 minutes ago, Chippewa said:

Trying to do some organizing and labeling of these teeth that I have collected over the past 10 years.  But first....  I'm hoping for confirmation of my opinions on some and help with a few that I'm not sure about.  Most of these are from the Suwannee River but a few of the Makos are from Venice FL about a mile offshore in 17-23 feet of water.  Thank you!

Pretty confident of Mako for the group of six.

Pretty confident of Auriculatus for the single (heartbreaker) (a very rare find for me from the Suwannee - by far the largest and brightest color shark tooth I've found there)

Not sure about the two that resemble sand tiger or (mackerel?)  I don't think they are sand tiger.

IMG_2938.jpg

Are there Miocene/Pliocene fossils known from that area?  BC the upper left looks like a Cosmopolitodus/Isurus hastalis upper, while the two triangular teeth in the lower right look like Cosmopolitodus/Isurus xiphodon uppers.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, hemipristis said:

Are there Miocene/Pliocene fossils known from that area?  BC the upper left looks like a Cosmopolitodus/Isurus hastalis upper, while the two triangular teeth in the lower right look like Cosmopolitodus/Isurus xiphodon uppers.

He said that some of the makos are from Venice, which a Miocene-Early Pliocene deposit.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

He said that some of the makos are from Venice, which a Miocene-Early Pliocene deposit.

Oops.  Missed that part

George Santayana

5 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Cosmopolitodus/Isurus hastalis has changed in Carcharodon hastalis

Changes all the time :blink:

46 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

I'm old-fashioned.  Best to write these labels in pencil :P

George Santayana

7 hours ago, Natalie81 said:

It's quite interesting how scientific names can become indefinitely unstable with ongoing disputes over little details.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Okay thanks again that is very helpful - I will look those up and learn those now to reinforce...

Carcharodon hastalis, 

2 xiphodon uppers

isurus 

and auriculatus