SearchingThePast

Hello everyone! Thanks for taking a minute to read this. Heading over to Maryland this weekend for some fossil hunting. I was hoping to get some guidance on some spots in PA. Which we are planning on heading to on Tuesday (June 18th). Would like to know if there are any areas where we could find some plant fossils. I know from doing some research the areas may be limited. It's our first time collecting plant fossils so any tips would be appreciated as well!

Thank you! 

What part of PA will you be traveling through? Western, Central or Eastern?

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

The plant fossils are mostly in NE Pennsylvania. The most popular spot, St. Clair, is now closed to the public, but there are other places in the area with very nicely detailed plants. Send me a PM if you want.IMG_4460.thumb.JPG.ae0bb9f777e80fa4f2d81efe8859dbc0.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

If you can tell us what routes or counties in PA you expect to travel through you may get specific spots. I have done a A LOT of roadside collecting in Central PA and may be able to suggest a few good spots. Unfortunately most of the plant material is in the NE or West in abandoned coal strip mines which can be frustrating to hunt if they're grown over, smelly/dangerous due to acid mine drainage, slippery conditions,  and unsafe(danger of explosion, chemical contamination, or being shot if you walk up on cookers) due to portable METH LABS. Unless you're with a local who knows the spot I'd stay out.  That being said there is still some good possibility.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Search the Forum for Carbondale, PA. 

Centralia is also a place for plant fossils. 

Good luck. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think we would be in the central/northern area, but would not be opposed to searching in other areas of PA.

4 hours ago, SearchingThePast said:

I think we would be in the central/northern area, but would not be opposed to searching in other areas of PA.

There are exposures of fossiliferous shale along Route 81 road cuts north and south of the Pottsville area. The fossils consist of ferns, branches and 'tree' trunks in a dark shale. I believe that they are are still middle Pennsylvanian in age, same as the St Clair ferns.  I've seen large tree trunks as well as ferns, from several species. 

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana