Randomguy1

Hey I was camping on the H Roe. Bartle scout reservation when I found these fossils. I’m not familiar with the fossils of the area, so I’m not sure of the age. Any ideas on what they are? I appreciate any help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Could we get a higher resolution picture of both specimens? I'm particularly interested in the delicate structures to the sides of the deep grooves on the first specimen.

• I found this Informative 1

The second item looks like a praying mantis egg sac. 

CYvN7.jpg

image from: 

http://www.chotelaboratories.com/garden_diary/?p=165

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, jdp said:

Could we get a higher resolution picture of both specimens? I'm particularly interested in the delicate structures to the sides of the deep grooves on the first specimen.

Not sure if this really any better, my camera is pretty weak. 

image.jpg

They are very hard and they cement them onto everything from branches to stones. Although it looks to me like that maybe an old empty one

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Randyw said:

They are very hard and they cement them onto everything from branches to stones. Although it looks to me like that maybe an old empty one

Actually I was I just able to pry it off with my fingers so definitely an egg sac! Wasn’t expecting that, thanks!

I think the first one's a piece of a conulariid, external mould, probably Paraconularia, depending on the scale. The discontinuity in the ridges marks the centre line of a face.

Here's one of mine with similar preservation and centre line (P. quadrisulcata, Mississippian, UK):

4cm long

IMG_1676.thumb.jpeg.089beba045b3178ed9b077f5abc3ceb5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Conulariid seems like a safe bet, I agree. What interests me are these fine structures here:

image.thumb.png.9261138d6c8bcbefb4051cd043dfbafd.png

27 minutes ago, jdp said:

Conulariid seems like a safe bet, I agree. What interests me are these fine structures here:

I'm pretty sure they're fenestellid bryozoans which often occur in the same beds as conulariids in the Carboniferous.

Tarquin