Mystery item found in western ND

Exuvium

Hi everyone,

I came across this object earlier this evening and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it is. It was found embedded in a soft rock (soft enough to scrape away large chunks with a pocket knife) with just a small cross-section exposed. It first grabbed my attention because it appears round and hollow in cross-section, and was a different color and harder than the surrounding material. The rock it was found in was at the top of a hill, and located in western North Dakota, just barely across the border from Montana. My friend and I tried to brainstorm what it could be, but everything we could think of didn't quite seem to fit. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it! Also willing to accept that it might just be a weird rock... :D Thanks! (More photos to come in the comments)

0613192151.jpg

Also sorry for the poor photos - unfortunately the object fragmented into several pieces and they don't stay together well unless I hold them.

Screenshot_2019-06-13-22-00-54-1.png

And here's another cross-section piece. The little edge sticking out under my finger is a separate piece that can be taken out, so I think it was a different material.

0613192149-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Rhizolith seems more likely to me. Fossil plant root.

I agree