Real Or Fake Megalodon Tooth?

Hello im new here im looking at buying this megalodon tooth its nearly 5 1/2" in size to me its looks like a near perfect tooth but im not a proffesional is there anyone that can help me with this has it had any restoration? or faked? or been polished? would you consider it a good quality tooth or are their problems im not seeing thankyou for your help 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

15 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

Shouldn't really discuss values here.

Natural, but worn heavily, buffed...

Just to compare what a near perfect 5"+ tooth looks like: 

60933888_1175871922591764_8935714858448453632_n.thumb.jpg.451fcf9138bd1b2746c4dfb715facbf3.jpg

i can see the difference its a massive difference wow i can never find ones like that or close to it for decent price i thought it seemed a little high can you suggest any websites for the uk im not sure if your allowed to but i dont know where eles to look as they are all simular to the one i was gonna buy or worse 

We don't allow estimates on value here.

All we can say is that it is real, and of lower quality. 

There are a number of places where affordable Megs can be found. 

You just have to understand that quality condition, and size = $$$$$$$. 

Megateeth's website owner is a member here. He sells affordable teeth. 

Other than that, compare to other online fossil venues for pricing. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As Tim said Megateeth has great teeth in all price ranges. 

I agree, Bill's great! Really recommend megateeth.com; I'm sure you can find a good tooth for a nice price there!

Well, I don't know anything about how to tell if a tooth is restored or not, but if you want a big tooth and don't have a ton of money to spend you will need to get an imperfect one.

I bought a 5.3" tooth with a fair amount of wear on it (I still think it is very attractive, it has coral on it).... I could have never bought one that size in the condition posted above.

If I buy a perfect tooth, it would have to be a small one, given my budget.  

I think the tooth you posted in the first picture looks attractive to me.  Of course, if I had plenty of money to burn, I'd get the one posted by aeon.rocks!

The problem of that tooth is not $, but lack of sellers/collectors willing to sell quality megalodon teeth like that, besides rarity to find a close to perfect one (opposed to how common junk grade is when it comes to megalodon teeth).

As for the money part, not many collectors have plenty of money to burn, I don't, but I don't feel the need to pay hundreds of dollars for a very very common C or D grade megalodon tooth either. The near perfect meg in picture is not my tooth either, wish I could find one of that quality for sale however. Give it a try, I'm sure even if you have plenty of money to burn, you'll find it's difficult to find megalodon teeth of that quality available anywhere! You probably won't find any, maybe 1 or 2 overpriced, but you need to be really picky, 1 single worn serration matters and things can get very picky, when talking about quality of this type and price, but that rarity is also a reason why buying a tooth like that could pay off, if you ever need to resell (buying a junk tooth not really, if you overpay a junk tooth, good luck finding another sucker).

So it's not about having plenty of money to burn, it's about the opportunity and often it only comes down to knowing what you want, how much you want to pay and how crazy you are, because in any case, no matter how much $ you spend, you are still buying a rock. When you collect long enough you start to realize how common some fossils are and that size matters, but preservation (what is usually refered to as "quality") matters too, perhaps often more! So in short, not a question of money, just how much you are willing to invest in your passion on the long run and your experience! I'm sure everyone with a salary here can afford a near perfect tooth like that, if you really wanted, the problem is, there are not dozzens like that available atm - not even 1 that I know off!

You don't need to win a lottery, but instead of buying 5 or 10 worn or smaller megalodon teeth (or any other fossils, same rule applies if you are collecting trilobites or anything else), you can save that money to buy 1 or 2 of better quality only. There's literally thousands, tons of megalodon teeth found each year, if you have a lot of money to burn you could buy worn and broken megalodon teeth by the kilo, but near to perfect teeth rarely ever get available in the open market. And sometimes you just need to do some research of what's available - you could already buy a 4"+ or a 5" tooth of good, much better quality (not perfect burlette, but with all serrations, not much wear) for the sum you had in mind (unfortunately admins deleted comments regarding values, but I still remember the figure). 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, aeon.rocks said:

(unfortunately admins deleted comments regarding values, but I still remember the figure). 

Fortunately, TFF is not overrun with dollar amounts of temporal value.

1 hour ago, aeon.rocks said:

So in short, not a question of money....

Exactly!  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Fortunately, TFF is not overrun with dollar amounts of temporal value.

Sure, it's understandable, but in this case would help to make an argument, why it's not a question of money (OP could already buy a much nicer 0.5 - 1" smaller one, perhaps not even that much smaller)... Otherwise, some might find my comments rude, although saying the rock they find attractive is a junk, was not in any way meant like that... In othr words, all fossils are interesting and priceless when it comes to scientific, educational and paleontological value, plenty of effort and hard work in many, but some rocks should just be almost free! Like many are... ;)

• I found this Informative 1