Unknown Silurian Fossil

lissa318

Hi guys!!!  Going through material from our last trip and wondering if anyone can help ID this?  Assuming fossil and not mineral...  If you look closely there are smaller segments of it around the obvious area in question.  As always, any feedback appreciated!  

20190614_190336.jpg

Is there a way of removing some of the covering matrix? At present, I’m getting a brachiopod vibe from this.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hard to tell, beyond shell. The ridges look parallel so perhaps squished cephalopod, but I wouldn't rule out brachiopod...

Tarquin

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Is there a way of removing some of the covering matrix? At present, I’m getting a brachiopod vibe from this.

I'll see what I can do today and post more pics.  It wraps around the one side which you can see in the one pic?  I suppose brachiopod is possible, there certainly are a lot of other brachiopods in the matrix.  It's throwing us off because the ridges are so irregularly spaced and wavey from side to side and up and down?  If that made sense?  lol

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Squished ?

4 hours ago, TqB said:

Hard to tell, beyond shell. The ridges look parallel so perhaps squished cephalopod, but I wouldn't rule out brachiopod...

Something squished may explain why the waves in the striations are so irregular.  And maybe why it also waves up and down how it does?  There are very small areas next to it on the right that look similar as well and on the big area it looks to wrap the whole way around on the left.  It's just different than what else I am seeing so far.  I guess a brachiopod is possible but I don't think so.  I could be wrong though?  Thanks for the help!  Appreciate it.  :)

3 hours ago, Scylla said:

I thought it looked like part of a crinoid columnal, but I'm viewing it on my phone.:headscratch:

And that was my initial thought as well!!!  Until I looked closer.  :heartylaugh:

Definitely a head-scratcher... Most brachs will crack rather than warp like this, so I'm not confident with my brach idea. However, I've seen the "lip" ends of Leptaena succumb to a bit of undulation before, which is what had me thinking it might be brach. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Definitely a head-scratcher... Most brachs will crack rather than warp like this, so I'm not confident with my brach idea. However, I've seen the "lip" ends of Leptaena succumb to a bit of undulation before, which is what had me thinking it might be brach. 

Well there's definitely a ton of Leptaena in this matrix.  I don't see any of the other details of Leptaena I'd expect to see though?  I'll have to pay closer attention as I continue to clean other pieces to see if I come a cross anything else similar.  Thanks for your feedback and time. I appreciate it!