Florida fossil ID

Bryan C

Hello there, very excited to have found this forum. 

Anyway, this fossil was found 28’ below ground level, on the north east coast of Florid. It was in a gravel pit in basically beach sand. It was a mix of sand and cocina rock. This is about a mile away from the current coast line. It’s measurements are approximately 83 cm x 61 cm x 30 cm

94EF585E-C1D0-445D-B20F-E6B6A5E9D335.jpeg

I'm IMPRESSED !! Never found a dinosaur bone in Florida. So , IF bone, I'd guess we are dealing with a REALLY big Mammoth.. Thanks for sharing

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice find!I agree with shell seeker that it is likely Mammoth or mastodon. Can you post more pictures of different sides and the ends of the bone? We might be able to determine what part of the beast it came from

• I found this Informative 1

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Big bone, nice find! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That is big! Agree that a few more pictures would be needed to help with identification. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Whatever that is, it has to be something big - mammoth, mastodon, or whale.

I wonder if the remainder of that beast is still buried nearby?

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I do have more pictures, I’m compressing them now.

I’ll have to do two posts.

A52B9BDB-51CF-43AB-BC74-64721D5074B3.jpeg

BB573757-ADDB-45D1-BF09-2A534F96F0C7.jpeg

81E7A727-4412-4A2D-BF81-F67E5BEB2CBA.jpeg

4C9AC12E-3803-47F7-A9C6-1CFE1249F7B9.jpeg

EF490AF7-EBE6-4E5B-BB86-1CE36276BFBF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Maybe I hit my total limit but I only had two more pictures anyway. Again, thank you for your help. 

My cousin runs the pit where it comes from and he said he would do some more digging in that area later to see what else comes up. Unfortunately it’s all very deep and they’re working with only heavy equipment. I suspect that’s what caused the damage on the bone we have now.

That fossil is from an enormous animal!!

Let’s wait and see what our forum experts have to say about it ;)

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

There we go! That’s all the pictures I have for now but if anyone wants something specific just let me know! The prospect of it being a mammoth is pretty exciting. 

7A8E48D2-D4F6-4D13-B309-259840E83BFF.jpeg

8AE14E9D-0E74-4C9E-A64C-6B80F20FEE30.jpeg

Ideally, to avoid damage, this would need to be professionally excavated, perhaps by a university team of paleontologists.

Ground-penetrating radar might reveal more anomalies that could be targets to dig for.

How brittle is this chunk of bone? The state of preservation looks good overall. At least it's not crumbling apart in your hands like some do.

You  have  a dilemma here. Continue randomly using heavy equipment and hopefully turn up more of the beast without tearing it up in the process, or call the university and see if they would have interest in excavating the site.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!  :)

3 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

Ideally, to avoid damage, this would need to be professionally excavated, perhaps by a university team of paleontologists.

Ground-penetrating radar might reveal more anomalies that could be targets to dig for.

How brittle is this chunk of bone? The state of preservation looks good overall. At least it's not crumbling apart in your hands like some do.

You  have  a dilemma here. Continue randomly using heavy equipment and hopefully turn up more of the beast without tearing it up in the process, or call the university and see if they would have interest in excavating the site.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!  :)

Thanks for the info. It is actually fairly solid. We’ve been able to move it around without any signs of it breaking.

I will speak with him about the future excavation in that area. It’s going to be hard for them to block off a whole area though but we’ll see.  

Wow!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana