I am right now out in the field, attempting to extract a string of articulated reptile vertebrae in the lower Atco. It is in a soft marl bed just a few feet above the basal Atco. There seems to be articulated ribs associated with the specimen, and so far I have uncovered 14 verts. 9 of them were lose of the surface and bagged in ziplocks, but now I am trying to get the rest out. If anyone has any advice, I need it! The specimen also has articulated ribs. I want to get this thing home tonight, and not destroyed.

This is is my first time attempting to extract vertebrae, and I want to do it right and get it home tonight. It is currently 8:54 p.m. here in North Texas. 

Here are some pictures of the bones when I found them and where the dig is now. I don’t know what exactly it is, but I am guessing juvenile Mosasaur. Age is Earliest Coniacian. 9 verts were on the surface, and at least 6 more uncovered with ribs.

Pictures incoming:

B8FDE49C-0871-472C-8447-56A3A04F4359.thumb.jpeg.34ab190d50d6b7dbebe132585269b4ca.jpeg

All 9 verts.

@Uncle Siphuncle @erose

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 1

I think it is more than a few hours on this.

The bones should be uncovered and jacketed to keep them in place. This takes a lot of time.

Nice find and good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

:popcorn:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Could be a visit to Mike in your future....  :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Could be a visit to Mike in your future....  :D

Saw him on Wednesday at the DPS meeting. Nice guy. Had no idea I would come upon this today (yesterday).

It’s 1:05 a.m., and progress:

DF9A8173-5BAA-41B5-B265-FECA514F613B.thumb.jpeg.10f07b2a2bd3f7e64fc7d884fa485426.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

And so we leave this place, leaving a bomb crater behind. It will be dealt with later. Thus concludes my first successful (partial) extraction of an associated vertebrate specimen. 3:28 a.m.

C27EDFBA-1932-4708-8EA5-35D732B05FF5.thumb.jpeg.d56bb3c0e3b7fdc30e9c886749b23000.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

That’s killer.  Looks bigger than Coniasaur.  Hope you get a skull in there somewhere.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

That’s killer.  Looks bigger than Coniasaur.  Hope you get a skull in there somewhere.

Agreed, looks like a small mosasaur. All the Coniasaur verts I have collected were <.25” diameter. These appear to be .5” to .75” plus, the shape is wrong for Coniasaur.

• I found this Informative 5

Very interesting but me thinks you may have attacked this too eagerly.   The best of luck though. 

RB

Whether it wise or not, the reason why I was so eager to get this out last night was first because the site is occasionally hunted by other folks. I wouldn’t call it a well known site, but known enough that a guy from Houston and his kids came to the site to hunt while we were there. So I wanted to extract all the visible bones before someone else came upon them. Secondly, a huge storm was coming through and hit just after we left, and since I had already exposed some delicate ribs on the block I wanted to get it out of there before it got pummeled with heavy rain. 

Also, I don’t really have any buddies who I could call upon to come out in a few days and help make a proper plaster jacket with me. My excavation crew consists of me, my parents, and occasionally Keith Minor if he happens not to be busy, which is rare. 

I may have erred by getting out the block with exposed bones, but I do think more of the skeleton is there. If I am not mistaken, these look like caudal vertebrae to me and that might mean that more of the skeleton, including the skull, is still buried in the chalky marl ahead. I saw no sign that material was weathering out towards where the head might be, which might either be a bad indicating that nothing is there, or it might be still buried. 

In any event, I will try to post some pictures soon (maybe today?) of the verts on the ID forum. 

• I found this Informative 5

I too hate leaving things to chance.  A bird in the hand...

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Small mosasuar for sure. Congrats. I think you'll find more when you go back. Looks like that area is getting rain so I think you did the right thing getting what you could. 

Salvage operations ahead of weather or less thoughtful collection are sometimes the only reasonable option.  I think you made the right choice last night.  Good job.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any new pics?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

6 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Any new pics?

Soon, hopefully tomorrow. The dust inhalation, over exertion, and staying up 22 hours straight resulted in my immune system crying foul, and as such a cold has befallen me. Coughing, stuffiness, fever, chills, the works. 

But, I can report that the rock was taken out of the car and placed into the house! So no current danger there. But next time, a plaster jacket will be a big part of the operation.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile