Reputable dealer of Moroccan trilobites?

hemipristis

hafa adai,

I'd really like to buy one or two of those detailed trilobites with spines, appendages and all, either Russian or Moroccan. I see prices all over the map, and have observed a few really bad fakes. I'm sure that there are also a lot of really good fakes (hence the wild price differences).  

Can anyone recommend a checklist/things to look for and/or a reputable dealer (preferably one that doesn't charge mortgage-level prices)?  I don't want to keep bothering folks with repeated  queries of Is this one good?"  "How about this one?" :P

I've read a number of posts in this form, and they tend to refer to individual specimens. I"m looking more for something that I can save to my HD and refer to while I"m shopping online.

thank you in advance,

hemi :thumbsu:

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Looking for a dealer in Morocco? Or in Russia? Perhaps if you let us know what species you are looking for I can recommend a preparator or check my collection for doubles. Cheaper to buy directly from a Moroccan or Russian preparator, than from a reseller. Also, about 5 world class spiny-trilo preparators in Morocco, but such high end quality always comes at a price (usually still a lot cheaper as in Russia or USA, but perhaps difficult to understand or justifiy the difference in prices, if you don't have collecting or prep experience, but there is usually a big difference in detail and % of restoration between 2 similar looking specimens, when examined at magnification (if one detailed prep, one good commercial preped); a big difference in time and prep difficulty aswell).

Search the forum, a lot has been said already about what to look for, but without experience that "checklist" would still be guessing, also depends if you are interesting in ordovician, cambrian or devonian; so maybe you need a reliable online dealer or perhaps a preparator in Morocco or Russia that you could trust?

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/16/2019 at 4:45 AM, aeon.rocks said:

Looking for a dealer in Morocco? Or in Russia? Perhaps if you let us know what species you are looking for I can recommend a preparator or check my collection for doubles. Cheaper to buy directly from a Moroccan or Russian preparator, than from a reseller. Also, about 5 world class spiny-trilo preparators in Morocco, but such high end quality always comes at a price (usually still a lot cheaper as in Russia or USA, but perhaps difficult to understand or justifiy the difference in prices, if you don't have collecting or prep experience, but there is usually a big difference in detail and % of restoration between 2 similar looking specimens, when examined at magnification (if one detailed prep, one good commercial preped); a big difference in time and prep difficulty aswell).

Search the forum, a lot has been said already about what to look for, but without experience that "checklist" would still be guessing, also depends if you are interesting in ordovician, cambrian or devonian; so maybe you need a reliable online dealer or perhaps a preparator in Morocco or Russia that you could trust?

thank you.  Your points are well taken. I think I need to continue doing my homework.  I'll be touching base when I get time in the next coupla days

George Santayana

It may be difficult to ship Russian trilobites abroad. There was a case when a parcel with azafus was arrested at the border, and they were considered smuggling.
There was also a case when a Chinese was detained at the airport, who tried to take out one ammonite.
According to our legislation

In accordance with applicable law, any legal entity should have the right to collect geological collection materials. These include: samples of minerals, rocks and ores, petrified remains, fauna and flora, which can be used to create and replenish collections of scientific, artistic, decorative and other purposes, as well as materials for art and the use of crafts. At the same time, the collection of geological collection materials involves the extraction of single samples of rocks, ores, minerals, fossil remains and flora from natural formations, dumps of rocks and products of their processing, existing and abandoned rocks without conducting mining and other types of special works. But on one condition - the presence of a special permit (license)! This allows you to store and transport, organize exhibitions, exchange and sell. Yes, precisely-sell. When using geological collection materials for commercial purposes, the law is not forbidden. Exception: customs clearance.

• I found this Informative 2

I would say get as much information as possible before making a purchase. Look into the species you want before buying it. Request close up pictures if there aren't any available. Typically Russian trilos have shell restoration, so get full disclosure from the seller if there is any. The guy I buy from usually lists a pre prep photo, which is always nice for authenticity. You can try a black light test, but magnification will reveal a lot more details displayed or missing. I have no Moroccan material so I'm useless there. I can recommend a seller of Russian material if needed. Fair warning though, any trilobite with preserved appendages, or highly detailed spiny trilobites are usually pricey. I would be cautious if it wasn't appropriately priced for the many hours of work it takes.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, as Jackson g mentioned, do some research... Don't just buy, inform yourself what you are buying and how a good prepared specimen of what you are buying looks. Often high detailed trilobites and spiny especially are pricey, a lot of work in preserving details, especially when it comes to some spiny species it's very difficult and worth all the money, often not enough; but if details are not preserved... In example, if a seller asks 2000$ for reselling poor quick commercialy prepared quality Koneprusia, you are most likely getting ripped off, even if the bug is very spiny...  If that's a Koneprusia prepared meticulously with no restoration and in detail, 2000$ is still too cheap considering the prep. Quality matters! Not appendages! 

Black light works sometimes, but sometimes not, depends on materials used for resto. Keep in mind however that trilobites are not megalodon teeth that you just pick up and wash, a small amount of restoration or repair is normal, because often it takes breaking rocks and glueing parts back together to prepare...

• I found this Informative 2

On 6/18/2019 at 7:17 PM, MiseriKing said:

It may be difficult to ship Russian trilobites abroad. There was a case when a parcel with azafus was arrested at the border, and they were considered smuggling.
There was also a case when a Chinese was detained at the airport, who tried to take out one ammonite.
According to our legislation

In accordance with applicable law, any legal entity should have the right to collect geological collection materials. These include: samples of minerals, rocks and ores, petrified remains, fauna and flora, which can be used to create and replenish collections of scientific, artistic, decorative and other purposes, as well as materials for art and the use of crafts. At the same time, the collection of geological collection materials involves the extraction of single samples of rocks, ores, minerals, fossil remains and flora from natural formations, dumps of rocks and products of their processing, existing and abandoned rocks without conducting mining and other types of special works. But on one condition - the presence of a special permit (license)! This allows you to store and transport, organize exhibitions, exchange and sell. Yes, precisely-sell. When using geological collection materials for commercial purposes, the law is not forbidden. Exception: customs clearance.

thank you. I was unaware of these restrictions

George Santayana

On 6/21/2019 at 7:44 AM, aeon.rocks said:

Yes, as Jackson g mentioned, do some research... Don't just buy, inform yourself what you are buying and how a good prepared specimen of what you are buying looks. Often high detailed trilobites and spiny especially are pricey, a lot of work in preserving details, especially when it comes to some spiny species it's very difficult and worth all the money, often not enough; but if details are not preserved... In example, if a seller asks 2000$ for reselling poor quick commercialy prepared quality Koneprusia, you are most likely getting ripped off, even if the bug is very spiny...  If that's a Koneprusia prepared meticulously with no restoration and in detail, 2000$ is still too cheap considering the prep. Quality matters! Not appendages! 

Black light works sometimes, but sometimes not, depends on materials used for resto. Keep in mind however that trilobites are not megalodon teeth that you just pick up and wash, a small amount of restoration or repair is normal, because often it takes breaking rocks and glueing parts back together to prepare...

I would say get as much information as possible before making a purchase. Look into the species you want before buying it. Request close up pictures if there aren't any available. Typically Russian trilos have shell restoration, so get full disclosure from the seller if there is any. The guy I buy from usually lists a pre prep photo, which is always nice for authenticity. You can try a black light test, but magnification will reveal a lot more details displayed or missing. I have no Moroccan material so I'm useless there. I can recommend a seller of Russian material if needed. Fair warning though, any trilobite with preserved appendages, or highly detailed spiny trilobites are usually pricey. I would be cautious if it wasn't appropriately priced for the many hours of work it takes.

thank you both for your expertise.  Sounds like I need to do more homework...

George Santayana