Briggs Road and Deep Springs 6-15-2019

Darktooth

It seems like an eternity since the last time I was able to go fossilhunting. Yesterday the weather was great, so I decided it was time to get back out there. My two youngest and myself stopped first at Briggs Road to try our luck finding some trilos. I was amazed to find the sight just as it was left back on April 27th when everyone left from the group hunt. I took advantage of the spot where @Al Tahan scored his Eldredgeops. The sun had worked its magic and made the matrix  pretty workable. It didnt take long before I found a nice trilo. I haven't taken measurement yet but it is a decent size Eldredgeops, or one but the head is covered with matrix. The thorax and pygidium popped off during extraction but I bit of glue and some prep should fix that. We all found trilo bits and pieces with a couple possible whole ones. The sun was radiating off the pit enough that it felt like an oven for the hour and a half we were there. After leaving Briggs, we headed over to Deep Springs to see what goodies we could score. I saw alot of digging which probably took place during the other half off the group hunt. I really wasnt in the mood for serious digging myself so I resigned to surface scan and shale splitting I was rewarded with some brachs and a nice gastropod.there were many different types of fossils present but I decided to be picky. I only kept a few that I felt were worthy. At one point while surface scanning I saw a familiar sight. It was a negative off a large fish scale, like the one Al had found recently. It was still attached to the host rock so I broke of the chunk and brought it home thinking If it matches the one Al has I would give it to him. We stayed for about an hour and a half there and then it was time to head home the heat was getting to us and the boys were tired. While we were getting ready to leave, we were approached by a gentleman on a tractor. I thought I may be the owner of the property, but as it turned out he was a guy who works for the owner. His name is Mark. He asked if the boys enjoyed themselves and we talked for about a half hour about all sorts of things. He told me about the owner, who he was, and where he lived. He stated that they are amazed that with all of the people who come to hunt the property, they never find trash. That is one of the reasons the owner is more than happy to let people hunt it. We also talked about hunting, fishing, Bee keeping, and of course fossils. I showed him some of our finds and explained what they were. He seemed like a really nice guy. It was a great way to end the trip. I am going to post pics but it may take awhile as some need to be resized. I haven't quite figured out the camera on my new phone. But for now I will leave you with this pic. This is what happens when a bald guy forgoes the sunscreen and only wears a baseball cap. This is also how i looked last night when i went out for dinner and then drinks.

20190615_162738.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here is the fish scale negative. It measures about two inches at its widest point

20190616_103423.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Hoping this will prep out ok, even though my prep skills are little to none. I will have to try my new Valerian steel. Lol!:rolleyes:

20190616_174819.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I will try my luck with ID's.

1. Mesoleptostrophia Julia

2.3.4. Rhipidomella vanukemi

5. Athyris spiriferoides

20190616_180450.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I love these small gastros. 

Palaeozygopleura hamiltoniae

20190616_180619.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here are so.e of Dylan's finds.

This is a plate with a Dolorthoceras exile

Cephalopod, Dipleura pygydium and bivalve.

20190616_181930.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Bivalve, but not sure which one.

20190616_182139.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Greenops imprint.

More to come..........

20190616_182010.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Bivalve, but not sure which one.

20190616_182139.jpg

Grammysoidea arculata pretty sure 

:popcorn:

9 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Grammysoidea arculata pretty sure 

:popcorn:

I thought so at first, but there are some characteristics that are hard to photograph and appear to hide under the matrix that are leading to believe it may be something else. Maybe I can get some of the matrix to pop off.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

36 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I thought so at first, but there are some characteristics that are hard to photograph and appear to hide under the matrix that are leading to believe it may be something else. Maybe I can get some of the matrix to pop off.

Great haul, Dave! Love that fish scale!  :) 

Glad to see you got out.  Thanks for the great report and pictures. 

I think you are correct, and your bivalve may be a Modiomorpha mytiloides

20190616_182139.thumb.jpg.ba5d011f8434bdb4d9287a7ba5fe02f0.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I'm glad you and the boys had a good day yesterday, Dave. And happy father's day too. Glad to hear that the gentleman who owns the quarry is still happy to welcome responsible fossil hunters. You made some good finds too. I'm looking forward to getting out there again one of these days, probably in the fall. Everything's looking good now around here. Next time you go trilobite hunting, remember the battle cry, "Remember The Sunscreen!"

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great haul, Dave! Love that fish scale!  :) 

Glad to see you got out.  Thanks for the great report and pictures. 

I think you are correct, and your bivalve may be a Modiomorpha mytiloides

20190616_182139.thumb.jpg.ba5d011f8434bdb4d9287a7ba5fe02f0.jpg

Thanks Tim! I was actually leaning toward one of the Modiomorpha sp.:)

It sure was great to get out even though it was another short hunt. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Just now, Pagurus said:

I'm glad you and the boys had a good day yesterday, Dave. And happy father's day too. Glad to hear that the gentleman who owns the quarry is still happy to welcome responsible fossil hunters. You made some good finds too. I'm looking forward to getting out there again one of these days, probably in the fall. Everything's looking good now around here. Next time you go trilobite hunting, remember the battle cry, "Remember The Sunscreen!"

Let me know if you do go in the fall and maybe I could meet up Mike. I was very happy to hear the owner is good with us going there. :dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

That's why I go with the indy hat instead of baseball, burned scalp is no fun. 

Nice finds, glad you finally got a chance to get back out there and great to hear the owner seems to be okay with it being a popular collection site because people are being respectful. 

I think I’m just having a hard time with the photo. It almost looks like heavy ribbing in one spot then it doesn’t in another :headscratch:

If its more like the top specimen it’s grammysoidea, if it’s more like the bottom it’s modiomorphia. 

356DCDD0-845F-45AD-96D3-B6A47A6F03C6.thumb.jpeg.a0d4fce6b8e691dfce9cc252974c3c2b.jpeg

These are some of my reference examples. Hope that helps!

Happy Father's Day!  Great report.

BTW, that suntan photo totally made my day. I've heard of a farmer's tan, but you've taken selective tanning to a whole new level :D Quite stylish.

Always something nice coming out of that spot, every time one of you goes there and posts a report. I particularly like the association piece with the orthocone etc.

It's interesting how much that small bivalve looks like ones I find around here in the Upper Cretaceous.

Sounds like fun.  Im like you when it comes to the sun.  Got burnt on my last trip and I had sun screen! 

RB

Nice trip report Dave. Glad to see you were able to get out there again. I too have had precious few opportunities to travel to the sites in Central New York, made somewhat more difficult since I moved another hour further away. I agree with Tim's diagnosis of Modiomorpha for the bivalve fossil. These appear to be very abundant at DSR. I hope that Eldredgeops is complete. Love to see it prepped. Congratulations on your finds and good luck recovering from that sunburn. 

Nice finds and good luck with that sunburn haha. That Eldredgeops should come out looking nice! Glad you all had a successful trip.

One of these days I'll get over to Deep Springs :trilowalk:

18 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

Happy Father's Day!  Great report.

BTW, that suntan photo totally made my day. I've heard of a farmer's tan, but you've taken selective tanning to a whole new level :D Quite stylish.

I was waiting to hear comments from strangers at the bar but surprisingly no one said anything!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

16 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Always something nice coming out of that spot, every time one of you goes there and posts a report. I particularly like the association piece with the orthocone etc.

It's interesting how much that small bivalve looks like ones I find around here in the Upper Cretaceous.

You can get very lucky with association specimens from the site but sometimes the fossils are so spread out on huge slabs it isn't practical the bring them home without breaking them down.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

8 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice trip report Dave. Glad to see you were able to get out there again. I too have had precious few opportunities to travel to the sites in Central New York, made somewhat more difficult since I moved another hour further away. I agree with Tim's diagnosis of Modiomorpha for the bivalve fossil. These appear to be very abundant at DSR. I hope that Eldredgeops is complete. Love to see it prepped. Congratulations on your finds and good luck recovering from that sunburn. 

Let me know when you plan on getting back this way. I may try to organize a field trip for my local club July 27th.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg