Plio-Pleistocene Bone from Simi Valley California

BigJim2500

Recently I’ve found some strange fossils from an area in Simi Valley (Southern California). I had thought there were only shells, but turns out there is vertebrate material! Among other fragments, I found a couple big whale vertebrae as well as this piece here that I am unsure about. I’ve seen some mentions of fossils from smaller marine mammals like dolphins and pinnipeds, maybe it’s one of those? Unfortunately there only one end present, so I’m not expecting to get anything too specific. The formation is about 5 million to 11 thousand years more. Hopefully I can get some more interesting things from that spot. Thanks!

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, Plipman23 said:

May I ask where in Simi?  And if you know, What formation?

This is in an area near a sand mine up Tapo Canyon. I believe it is in the Saugus Formation.

49 minutes ago, ynot said:

With both ends missing it is hard to get beyond a long bone (leg or arm).

One end is actually present, the side on the bottom ends like that, which is confusing. There is a little cancellous bone there though, but it’s not from a break. Maybe a juvenile. I will make sure to add a picture of the distal end later.

Just now, BigJim2500 said:

One end is actually present, the side on the bottom ends like that, which is confusing. There is a little cancellous bone there though, but it’s not from a break. Maybe a juvenile. I will make sure to add a picture of the distal end later.

It could also be a very old break, but it looked different from the one on the other side.

• I found this Informative 1