Please help me figure this out...

The Neanderoll

Hello all!

First time posting here. :) I'm hoping you can help me out, please.

About a week ago I found this bone on a beach in the North East of England while I was out hunting for small fossils. 

I'd like to get better at recognising bones, so I bagged it and brought it home as a little tester. But for the last 6 days i've been driving myself mad trying to figure out what this thing is!

I started trying to narrow down the most common possibilities. I've been looking at Sheep and Cow bones for like 3 days. Then I tried referring to the Natural History Museum's guide to British Mammall bones. I even tried looking at different cuts of meat.

I've tried to imagine this thing attached to a larger bone. Like, perhaps that's why I can't find a match? But I'm drawing a blank.

It doesn't seem quite fossilised, but I'm anosmic... and well, I can't really face the idea of asking someone to "Sniff my bone". So the burn test is out the window for me at the moment. Haha. :DOH:

Please can someone help shed some light on this? Whatever it turns out to be, I'm super interested.

Huge thanks!

D47vyHtWwAAxzFX.thumb.jpg.c62993e3e9552d2aae9f202c1201a57f.jpg

D9IdHjWX4AAXFdk.thumb.jpg.3df5e14e0883b093c2fb0426380d38b3.jpg

D9IdGB1WkAIGuT7.thumb.jpg.d8c9db0b1852eadadf3a123209949ecb.jpg

D9IdEB_WwAAWkI1.thumb.jpg.8d6436c66b7d32750d275a2c679bc74e.jpg

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Part of a shoulder bone (scapula) or pelvis.(?)

Thanks! :) I did wonder that myself, but the angles seem sort of off.

I just took some new pics in better light. Maybe these will help people!

20190617_174947-1.jpg

20190617_174927-1.jpg

20190617_174920-1.jpg

20190617_174904-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

A bit difficult to see as pix are dark but could be an ichthyosaur scapula?

Ooo... Away to Google I go. I would love it if you were right!

13 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

Do you know from what age this bone could be? 

Sadly not. It was laid on the beach alongside a tidal barriers with a lot of other debris - mostly modern shells, but some belemnites and bivalves.

The beach in question is at the mouth of the humber esturary. There's no deposits directly there, but there are Jurassic chalks and deposits just up and down the coast.

I'm an amateur - but It doesnt feel heavy or 'rock like' enough to be a jurassic era fossil. But it doesnt feel like bone either. haha

So... I tentatively tried the burn test. I'm mostly anosmic, but occasionlly get a hint of strong smells. I THINK this doesnt stink. :laugh2:But I really cant trust this nose.

4 minutes ago, The Neanderoll said:

Sadly not. It was laid on the beach alongside a tidal barriers with a lot of other debris - mostly modern shells, but some belemnites and bivalves.

The beach in question is at the mouth of the humber esturary. There's no deposits directly there, but there are Jurassic chalks and deposits just up and down the coast.

I'm an amateur - but It doesnt feel heavy or 'rock like' enough to be a jurassic era fossil. But it doesnt feel like bone either. haha

So... I tentatively tried the burn test. I'm mostly anosmic, but occasionlly get a hint of strong smells. I THINK this doesnt stink. :laugh2:But I really cant trust this nose.

It's defenitly bone, but I'm not sure of what animal... What size is it? 

My first tough was also scapula but as you mentioned, the angles are a little bit off. I came across this picture... Side-view of a neural arch and spine of a cervical vertebra. 

IMG_20190617_202227.jpg

Okay! I scrounged a tape measure :D

First pic in Inches and then the rest in CM.

Pls ask if you'd like some more angles. Thank you for the help everyone x

20190617_193047-1.jpg

20190617_193153-1.jpg

20190617_193212-1.jpg

20190617_193249-1.jpg

1 minute ago, Natalie81 said:

My first tough was also scapula but as you mentioned, the angles are a little bit off. I came across this picture... Side-view of a neural arch and spine of a cervical vertebra. 

IMG_20190617_202227.jpg

Oh man! I didnt even think about a chunk of vertebra!

7 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

And now I'm more confused :headscratch:I think you should wait for the experts 

Could be recent bone

Bahahaha! Thank you :) Im stumped too.

I thought for a moment it could be a chunk of antler... From the base near the skull. It's got a curvature that reminds me of the elk I saw in canada.

But antler isn't actually bone, right? This is really fun to try and figure out :)

20190617_194031-1.jpg

20190617_194116-1.jpg

20190617_194154-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hey guys!

I think this may be a chunk of an Axis Vertebra.

It kind of looks like grey seal?

Which would make sense. They come yearly to breed just along the coast from here :D

So could be modern seal?

received_545752012496422.jpeg

received_461408928019750.jpeg

received_2701010536594101.jpeg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ unclear, too incomplete for me to identify. Not marine mammal.

Hi all! Sorry to bring this post back from the dead. But I kinda wanted your opinion on this...

After @Boesse's helpful comment (thank you), I just assumed this was too fragmented for ID and forgot it.

But I'm starting a Palaeoanthropology degree next year, so i'm brushing up on Human anatomy.

...and, well, I was idly looking at Temporal Bones (which are part of the skull), and there seems to be an eriee similarity.

Am I seeing something where there's nothing?

1561907633314-1.png

1561909132979-1.png

1561909617898.png

I can clarify somewhat: this is not a squamosal/temporal bone. The squamosal is a fairly dense and fairly complicated element and in a terrestrial mammal is riddled with sinuses and foramina, including the petrosal (inner ear). This *does* look to be part of a neural arch but I don't think it's from an axis vertebra - if it were, it should be symmetrical (and it isn't).

• I found this Informative 1

Phew! That's brilliant. Thank you for the insight. :) Very useful and interesting.