planning ahead for a trip in the UK

Manticocerasman

Natalie and I are planning our holiday to the UK,

We are planning to reside from saturday 20 july to 24 july on  the isle of Wight were we went last year.

And from the 25th until the 28th we are planning to do either the coast of Sussex or Dorset.

This is where the advise of the TFF members come in, what would you advise us to visit, either Dorset or Sussex.

Of course if any member is free on one of those dates and is willing to guide us around this would be even better. We also take a bunch of Belgian fossils along for possible trades.

(we are especially interested in cephalopods and marine reptiles/dinosaurs )

Cheers

Kevin and Natalie

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hi  Kevin and Natalie...........I have been to Lyme Regis on holiday in the summer and though it is busy i have still had some good finds (verts and ammonites) Lyme Regis, Charmouth and Seatown are all worth a visit.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

John

• I found this Informative 2

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

18 hours ago, t-tree said:

Hi  Kevin and Natalie...........I have been to Lyme Regis on holiday in the summer and though it is busy i have still had some good finds (verts and ammonites) Lyme Regis, Charmouth and Seatown are all worth a visit.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

John

Thank you for the advice! 

Depending on what happens with our travel plans this summer, may or may not tag along at some point (Currently planning on Sicily Italy to go volcano watching, with Lyme Regis and such as a backup).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 19-6-2019 at 11:00 AM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Depending on what happens with our travel plans this summer, may or may not tag along at some point (Currently planning on Sicily Italy to go volcano watching, with Lyme Regis and such as a backup).

that was the plan , I was hoping I could meet up with some TFF members, but no reaction yet.

There's bound to be some TFF members in the area of Lyme Regis.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

If you get to Lyme Regis take the time to visit Seatown, to the east of LR. There is a good rock/fossil shop right on the beach. And on the beach, walk west, towards LR. The base of the cliff is very soft and I found ammonite impressions. Happy hunting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dorset is a better bet for ammonites and marine reptiles, in my opinion. 

Several good localities apart from those mentioned above. 

Portland, Purbeck, Burton Bradstock are all good for ammonites, Eype for both .......................

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 21-6-2019 at 2:40 AM, ober said:

If you get to Lyme Regis take the time to visit Seatown, to the east of LR. There is a good rock/fossil shop right on the beach. And on the beach, walk west, towards LR. The base of the cliff is very soft and I found ammonite impressions. Happy hunting. 

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Dorset is a better bet for ammonites and marine reptiles, in my opinion. 

Several good localities apart from those mentioned above. 

Portland, Purbeck, Burton Bradstock are all good for ammonites, Eype for both .......................

Thanks Adam! 

• I found this Informative 1