Sm Shark Teeth

Shellseeker

I am sifting with a 1/4 sieve in a layer of what I think is original ocean bottom (Florida). I found 2 small teeth that I thought were Mako and Sandtiger, but now I think neither is correct. The darker tooth without a pronounced nutrient grove is C. hastalis found years ago in the Peace River.

IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.f7cb7ba1d12ad54d1332a429f4e0b378.jpg

Additional photos of Shark tooth #1

UknShark2b.JPG.8168aa20aa792acd03c5e2d44eb5377e.JPGUknShark2c.JPG.884ee4c1b3c74fa9e853bdd55d374f0c.JPG

Additional photo of Shark tooth #2

UnknownShark1.JPG.c2100df31d58ab377694c4ca0ecd4975.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice teeth!! Obviously I won't give you an ID. How are the rivers? Heard bad news?? We might be visiting my son next week. Will know in a couple of days for sure.

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice teeth!! Obviously I won't give you an ID. How are the rivers? Heard bad news?? We might be visiting my son next week. Will know in a couple of days for sure.

Trouble , trouble....

O the E-ri-e was a-rising fast
And the gin was a-getting low.
And I scarcely think we'll get a drink
Till we get to Buff-a-lo-o-o

The Peace River and associated creeks are up 2-3 feet.. which means a lot for the spots I dug last week... My hunting partner is check for low water spots AS I TYPE THIS to determine if we can go tomorrow...

We might have to go to alternative hunting techniques...

:zzzzscratchchin:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The first tooth looks like a Negaprion lower and the second is some type of sand tiger.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I think the top tooth is a lower anterior dusky or bull shark tooth. Are there any serrations near the tip?

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I think the top tooth is a lower anterior dusky or bull shark tooth. Are there any serrations near the tip?

What sharp eyes you have, Grandma!!!!:thumbsu: .. and is that a Contortus type of curvature on the tip in the last photo?   so, serrations and a curved tip --- what do you think?

IMG_0487.thumb.jpg.8344387a1b87ad9f975f409eb40724bd.jpgIMG_0487.thumb.jpg.8344387a1b87ad9f975f409eb40724bd.jpgIMG_0490.thumb.jpg.c735f2cd3f94a6412eaf2d72afb468d5.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

2 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The first tooth looks like a Negaprion lower and the second is some type of sand tiger.

There were a few other sandtigers (C. cuspidata??) but I thought the cusps of this tooth were different enough..

Sandtigercusps.JPG.adfb43e66d84932d969ddb082596be19.JPG

Yeah, the first tooth is definitely a lower anterior Carcharhinus because of the serrations.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

There were a few other sandtigers (C. cuspidata??) but I thought the cusps of this tooth were different enough..

Sandtigercusps.JPG.adfb43e66d84932d969ddb082596be19.JPG

Those are anteriors, the tooth in question is an upper lateral so the cusps will be different. I don’t know if the species is different or not.

12 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I am sifting with a 1/4 sieve in a layer of what I think is original ocean bottom (Florida). I found 2 small teeth that I thought were Mako and Sandtiger, but now I think neither is correct. The darker tooth without a pronounced nutrient grove is C. hastalis found years ago in the Peace River.

IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.f7cb7ba1d12ad54d1332a429f4e0b378.jpg

Additional photos of Shark tooth #1

UknShark2b.JPG.8168aa20aa792acd03c5e2d44eb5377e.JPGUknShark2c.JPG.884ee4c1b3c74fa9e853bdd55d374f0c.JPG

Additional photo of Shark tooth #2

I believe the top tooth is a lower tooth of one of the larger Carcharhinids (bull, dusky, galapagos etc). It most closely resembles the dusky, C. obscurus and Galapagos shark C. galapagensis., whose teeth are hard to tell apart.   For comparison I've posted 4 photos below courtesy of elasmo.com. The black background are  and the white background are C. galapagensis.

c_galapagensis-lb[1].jpg

c_galapagensis-lg[1].jpg

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Here is the other (C. obscurus)5d087a53b3353_ds1300z100-web1.jpg.93b0c6a3861e2783fc5ff39c3d8d0ac5.jpg

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks to all who have responded.  There seems to be seems to be  some  consensus on a lower anterior Carcharhinus (Tooth #1) and an upper lateral  donated by a Carcharias .sp

I appreciate the contribution of expertise.   Jack