Disk Thingy Part 2

Bess

My brother found this object in a park in Hamilton New Jersey. The rock from this area is mostly from the Jurassic and Cretaceous, but there is a small bit of rock from the Cambrian. This is the second category of disc-shaped fossil that I discussed in the first thread.

There are several separate objects within the small rock, which looks somewhat similar. They are different from all of the other objects, which turned out to be imprints from crinoid stems, because they have 5 or less sections within the disk.

One of my guesses is that they are some kind edrioasteroid (I'm probably wrong:)).

The first photo shows what I think are the different samples. I will upload more photos soon.

I hope that you can identify any of the tiny objects. Thank you in advance.:)

816779339.png

First photo is of all of the objects. The second photo is of the largest sample. The largest sample is 2.5mm wide.

IMG_20190617_163822.jpg

15608048326899213534137342125838.jpg

Maybe blastoids.

Let's let some of those "invert" people chime in on this one. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Weren’t blastoids and edrioasteroids extinct by the end of the Paleozoic? Do you know for sure what age of rock it was found in? I know you mentioned Jurassic, Cretaceous, and possibly a small portion of Cambrian.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Yeah. I think they did.

Although the rock in the area is from the time that I said, my siblings and I have been finding fossils that seemed to have been deposited by glaciers. I was told that the rock originated North of where it was found, such as in the mountainous Northern NJ.

I hope this helps:)

20 minutes ago, Bess said:

Yeah. I think they did.

Although the rock in the area is from the time that I said, my siblings and I have been finding fossils that seemed to have been deposited by glaciers. I was told that the rock originated North of where it was found, such as in the mountainous Northern NJ.

I hope this helps:)

Oh ok. I’m not familiar with the New Jersey geology or possible glacial deposits. I’m a little farther south. ;) 

4 hours ago, Bess said:

The rock from this area is mostly from the Jurassic and Cretaceous...

This bit was throwing me off. :headscratch:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)