Fossil Frames

sneakyelf

I created these fossil frames for my finds on trips to Kemmerer and Delta. They were a fair amount of work but I thought I'd share the design because I haven't seen anyone selling similar frames.  I think the open space shows the fragility of the rock along with its natural shape instead of trapped in a rectangular frame. And I love collecting the accompanying negative impression.

If you have any of your own designs, I'd love to see them!

(no offense if this doesn't count as prep, but couldn't find display as a category)

Cheers.

fossil frames.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

This is really unique, and clever! 

Nice job on these. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Artfully conceived and produced, I especially like the treatment of the + and - fish slabs.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Very cool! Much better than a normal shadow box. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very original, very unique and very cool.  I really like that you have the opposing pieces of rock too!  Only have one question.  What is keeping the Diplomystus from falling out?

RB

Very nice.  Are those staples on the ends of the wood pieces holding the slabs in place?

To answer some questions:

Those are heavy duty black metal staples that are slid into holes just a little too narrow for them. They hold the fossil in tightly.  

The wood behind is cut with a dremel to rout out that shape of the rock. 

• I found this Informative 1

This is an artful and attention-grabbing display. Well done! 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

The are pretty cool and very original. I do really like them, good work. If you would like to add them to my post , please do. Have you thought about painting the bare wood?  Cheers Bobby 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, RJB said:

Very original, very unique and very cool.  I really like that you have the opposing pieces of rock too!  Only have one question.  What is keeping the Diplomystus from falling out?

RB

Friction. :heartylaugh:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Here's a pic of the metal staples I use to hold the fossils in the frame.  I drill holes that are a bit on the tight side so "friction" really does hold them in.

IMG_9198.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Here's an easy way to display a triceratops rib...just use a sword display stand!

just be prepared to answer a lot of questions from visitors who guess it is anything but a fossilized rib. :)

IMG_9208.JPG

• I found this Informative 2