I found this upper canine from a Smilodon for sale online. The number of surface imperfections lead me to believe the tooth is authentic though it could be a particularly well done cast. The seller has a couple other Smilodon fossils both of which seem legitimate. However the fossil is coming from China and I hear falsified fossils are very common in China. I would greatly appreciate another opinion thanks. 

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-3.jpg

s-l400-4.jpg

s-l400-5.jpg

I can't answer for the legitimacy of the tooth, but China does have a lot of savor cat fossils.

Might be best evaluated in hand. But I take it that can't be done unless you purchase it. :zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks for the response, I feel fairly confident that the tooth is real due to the cracks in the tooth, the patches of missing and worn enamel and the serrations visible in the 4th picture. 

Question: has it been broken in the middle and rejoined? It looks a little short to me... I will admit I’m more familiar with the smilidon fatalis then some of its brothers

It's not Smilodon, it's Machairodus

It's real but with possible restorations. The first picture isn't big and clear enough but there's a suspect white spot in the middle of the tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

For comparison, my Texas Smilodon PF, 20% restored.

Qt Smilodon fatalis Canine 1g Site 414c 071616.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the information. Now I have the real name I've been able to do some more research. Not 100% on the white spot, could be restoration however from what I've seen it is not uncommon for there to be a particularly smooth and white patch where the blade and root join.

Is it possible that the white area on both sides are signs of a composited root.  The indentation does not appear natural and my guess, not familar with these teeth, should flow evenly without the step.

s-l400-2.jpg.6720907efa758fca5968801c37f8ddf7.jpg.be3800e74a2b89326eb650aadc78df9e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

As Andy said, machairodus not smilodon. It is a real tooth with some areas of enamel composited and several repairs where the saber broke. The white area Troodon has noted is natural. It is the part of the tooth that was under the gums. Troodon is correct that the edge should flow evenly. I believe the indent was caused by heavy sanding or grinding of the root. This is often done to give the usual rough surfaced root area a smooth, finished appearence. Not an awful saber, but not a great one either. It is problematic that this specimen is in China.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:10 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

For comparison, my Texas Smilodon PF, 20% restored.

Qt Smilodon fatalis Canine 1g Site 414c 071616.JPG

On 6/19/2019 at 1:20 AM, SULLY said:

Wow. That’s an amazing specimen 

Mmmm :wub:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Mmmm :wub:

Sure, the tooth is fine.

But the 25 cent piece...wowza! :envy:

6 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

As Andy said, machairodus not smilodon. It is a real tooth with some areas of enamel composited and several repairs where the saber broke. The white area Troodon has noted is natural. It is the part of the tooth that was under the gums. Troodon is correct that the edge should flow evenly. I believe the indent was caused by heavy sanding or grinding of the root. This is often done to give the usual rough surfaced root area a smooth, finished appearence. Not an awful saber, but not a great one either. It is problematic that this specimen is in China.

From what I have seen this specimen is fairly normal for the species, it is very common for the sabers to be restored as they are often damaged in feeding. I don't think that it coming from China is much of a red flag since Asia was one of machairodus' main habitats.

17 hours ago, Huntonia said:

From what I have seen this specimen is fairly normal for the species, it is very common for the sabers to be restored as they are often damaged in feeding. I don't think that it coming from China is much of a red flag since Asia was one of machairodus' main habitats.

Oh no, you misunderstood me. I am 100% certain this saber comes from China. I meant problematic if you are considering buying it and it is being shipped from mainland China. Also, yes, it is the norm for these sabers to have repair/restoration, although damage is almost always caused by excavation and mis-handling, not feeding. I was just pointing out areas where work was done since opinions were asked for.

7 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Oh no, you misunderstood me. I am 100% certain this saber comes from China. I meant problematic if you are considering buying it and it is being shipped from mainland China. Also, yes, it is the norm for these sabers to have repair/restoration, although damage is almost always caused by excavation and mis-handling, not feeding. I was just pointing out areas where work was done since opinions were asked for.

I see. Thank you for the input. Might I ask why is it a problem that it is being shipped from China? I mean it makes the shipping cost atrocious but other than that I see no problem.

5 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

I see. Thank you for the input. Might I ask why is it a problem that it is being shipped from China? I mean it makes the shipping cost atrocious but other than that I see no problem.

It is illegal to export vertebrate fossils from China.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

It is illegal to export vertebrate fossils from China.

I see, that is a problem. Is there anything I should do about this other than avoid purchasing the fossil?

If you purchase it, you could be subject to fines and prosecution by the Chinese government, and the US. government, as well as search and seizure of the fossil.

You would be out the money for the fossil, and legal expenses.  

Not something I would be willing to chance for a fossil.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

If you purchase it, you could be subject to fines and prosecution by the Chinese government, and the US. government, as well as search and seizure of the fossil.

You would be out the money for the fossil, and legal expenses.  

Not something I would be willing to chance for a fossil.  :unsure: 

No definitely not. I was just wondering if there was some way for me to report the seller or something along those lines.

Is it being shipped from China or is it being sent from somewhere like Hong Kong?

8 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Is it being shipped from China or is it being sent from somewhere like Hong Kong?

It is being shipped from Lianyungang, China

1 minute ago, Huntonia said:

It is being shipped from Lianyungang, China

Thats a problem then. :(

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Thats a problem then. :(

Oh well, I probably couldn't afford the tooth anyways. Glad I consulted the forum, really dodged a bullet there.

• 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, 毁灭君王 said:

是真正的化石,不过断过,重新粘起来的,另外有些地方有修复

Translation: "It’s a real fossil, but it’s broken and reattached, and some places have been repaired."

Although we are an international forum, please try to post in English. Thank you for your cooperation. :dinothumb:

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer