Bone ID, Oregon, Willamette

mother_of_dreck

Hello All,

I found this piece at the shoreline, Kelley Point Park (confluence of Willamette and Columbia).

It's lightweight (1 oz)

Any Ideas?

IMG_5893.thumb.jpg.5e5f68310645b4b628997314da585bde.jpgIMG_5896.thumb.jpg.c1cc965c5325f20e07ac0cd9ede1b73e.jpg

Funky lookin rock.  Cant tell if any bone is there?  Some more info would be nice.  Formation is a biggie.  Other folks will chime in with some ideas?    Good luck

RB

This is the end of a leg bone, maybe the radius, of an animal.  It is from not fully mature animal as the end has separated from the main shaft of the bone at the growth plate  (the bottom in the first picture).  I'm thinking it might be something like a moose or caribou, and since you said it is lightweight, I would guess it is relatively recent (not fossil).

hmm, there were other pictures and descriptions and now those seem to have disappeared.  

@mother_of_dreck

Please use the Reply box below to respond or add additional photos.  Thanks.  :)

(Two topics merged.)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh, now I understand the issue. Thanks @JohnJ

Now the epiphyseal (growth) plate is seen in the second photo and the articulating surface is in the first picture. A photo straight down on the articulating surface might enable a more precise ID.