Starting out as a collector

New Collector

Hey, i'm looking to start my own collection as fossils have been a huge interest of mine since i was young, but in terms of online sellers im not sure who i can trust, any recommendations? 

NC,  what type of fossils are you interested in?  It might help others with their suggestions.

If you are into invertebrates ( corals, bryzoans, brachiopods, cephalopods, etc. ) you are in a great state ( Ohio ) to find some of your own.

Scroll down the Forum until you get to the topic "Fossil Sites", find Ohio and read up on locations in the state ( and areas near by ) that you can find great fossils in.

We also have a tremendous trades and sells section that you may get permission to participate in after a few substantial posts. Check it out!

BTW- your forum name will soon be obsolete if you collect for very long! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Caldigger. It would depend on what kinds of fossils you were wanting to purchase.

+1 for finding them on you own. Like cal said, your state is a great place to find invertebrates, and going out and digging in the rocks and dirt is half the fun! 

Now if you are not into invertebrates and want to collect something else you may be limited to buying them...

Or... an even better idea IMO would be to find invertebrates yourself and then trade them to others who are in a similar situation. If you don’t like invertebrates that is, or find extras. Saves you, and your trade partner, from buying. Let’s you dig in the dirt and still get the fossils you want. Plus helps someone else out too! :) 

Ok... it’s early morning here and I’m a little sleepy and rambling. I’ll stop now. Lol 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Just a word of caution to potential respondents.

Please keep any negative aspersions off of the Forum. 

If you have had issues with a certain company, outlet, or person, please notify the OP via PM. 

Thanks for your cooperation.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You live in ohio- which is famous for lovely trilobites!

If I were you I would look and see if you can find a spot locally.

nothing wrong with buying fossils either, I do...

fossilera.com is fine.  I have bought many fossils off our favorite auction site (which has both good and bad sellers.)

I also like this seller: https://ancientearthtradingco.com

Finding 'em is where it's at...

Not sure about Ohio, but Texas is known for productive creeks, riverbeds, and road cuts. Getting permission to access quarries can be lucrative as well. USGS may have a "rock unit" map for your state. A little investigate work can go a long way...

If you live anywhere near the Cincinnati area, the Dry Dredgers is I believe the oldest fossil club in the country, certainly one of the largest, and arguably one of or the best. They schedule many fossil collecting outings to different sites in Ohio and neighboring states.  

If you're looking to purchase a specimen online, post photos of it here and we'll advise you if it's real or fake.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!