XMarksTheSpot

First time fossil hunter, and we had a blast! If anyone needs a guide, or just advice, I HIGHLY recommend Barry Segura of Fossil Madness (his company). He was able to point us in the right direction, as well as hook us up with some great equipment. Thank you for everyone on TFF that encouraged and gave me advice!!!

2C151FA6-CD4C-4EC5-BA7B-5419E8195EC8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Particularly like that Angie you have in the top right of this photo. Can we have some close-ups?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

great haul, congrats:yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Wow! Very nice for your first time. You have entered a slippery slope that runs into a very deep rabbit hole hah. There’s no going back now :). Me personally, Im hooked for life! 

• I found this Informative 1

For anyone considering paying for a fossil guide like this in Summerville - please, please make sure you ask them if they have the landowner's permission to collect fossils from. Almost all of the 'fossil guide' outfits that go collecting in Summerville take their clients trespassing.

When I think of places I'd feel safe trespassing, the boonies in South Carolina is pretty far down my list. It's only a matter of time before someone gets shot.

*IF* you are curious, I encourage you to call the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History to check on the legality of a particular fossil guide company.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

When I think of places I'd feel safe trespassing, the boonies in South Carolina is pretty far down my list. It's only a matter of time before someone gets shot.

Hi Bobby,

What are the laws in South Carolina writ large concerning non-navigable stream-beds (streams) and public use ?  And use when surrounded on both sides by a single property owner ?  I know some streams are -buffered- by land owned by the city/county/state to act as flood abatement zones etc...

Thanks !

Brett

Not sure to be honest; digging in many streams in Summerville is illegal, especially digging into the bank. Much of my concern stems from rampant trespassing onto construction sites and private property. One recommendation: double check the social media page for a particular outfit: if they post pictures/video of night collecting, they're probably trespassing.

• I found this Informative 2