I thought I would share this info for those in Saskatchewan, Canada, wondering about the permit required to legally collect fossils in this province. I requested information from the provincial government, and this is what I have been provided with:

A permit is required for collecting fossils in Saskatchewan. The “Palaeontological Avocational Applications” can be found here: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/parks-culture-heritage-and-sport/heritage-conservation-and-commemoration/archaeology/palaeontological-avocational-applications

On this webpage, you will find the palaeontological permit application, as well as another form to record what you found (a Saskatchewan Palaeontological Resource Record form).

With the permit application form, the main points we need you to answer is the location(s) of where you are intending to look for fossils, what you are looking for and how you will do that – covered in section 1 and section 2 (in section 2 you can go into a lot more detail in the attached proposal). We also require you to submit a map(s) showing these proposed locations. If you are unclear about any of the information asked for in the permit application, our office can help you find out some information.

A little bit more information about our permitting process:

-          Once the application is submitted, a palaeontologist will review the information and determine if your proposed collecting locations are in conflict with other known palaeontological sites.

-          On the permit, there will be a number of Terms and Conditions regarding keeping detailed records for each specimen collected as well as what you did and observed.

-          All collected material must be submitted to the Royal Saskatchewan Museum (RSM) and the RSM will retain the fossils that are scientificially important specimens. Palaeontological collections are the property of the Crown and are under the stewardship of the RSM, but a disposition certificate can be issued to you for those the RSM will not retain.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions.

So, there we have it. The link does mention that this is intended for professional paleontologists with a Master's or Phd.

For those of you that do not require a permit...I envy you.

Edited by Mockrabbit
  • I found this Informative 1
  • 2 years later...
Conrad_Turbo

Just bumping this really old post! My family and I found a neat place with a bunch of ammonite and other small fossils along Lake Diefenbaker. At the time we weren't hunting for fossils but just came across it...then in wanting to learn more info about it I found the requirement for a permit and this forum as well. We plan on doing more hunting this year and I want to make sure we are doing things by the book.

In the link you provided it states it's for individuals without a masters or PhD...  I assume this is a glaring typo? Or is there a whole different system in place for those with professional designations in the field of paleontology?

These forms are intended for individuals without a Master's or PhD in palaeontology.

36 minutes ago, Conrad_Turbo said:

In the link you provided it states it's for individuals without a masters or PhD...  I assume this is a glaring typo? Or is there a whole different system in place for those with professional designations in the field of paleontology?

Generally, those in the professional field work for a public institution (such as a university). As such, when they are conducting official field research, it means all specimens are already de facto public property and are reposited in a research institution. Said researchers cannot use public money (i.e., research grants) for personal collecting, nor would it be permitted for them to sell, give, or trade away specimens that belong to the institution.  So, in many ways, the professionals have already been "vetted" as it is a fair assumption that any of the finds they make from field work will automatically be placed in the public trust. It would also be assumed they have the training to collect ethically and retain the integrity of the site. This is not to say that a dedicated and well informed amateur would not also do so, but there is that additional layer of accountability when it is tied to one's career. :) 

• I found this Informative 2
On 1/13/2022 at 10:33 AM, Kane said:

Generally, those in the professional field work for a public institution (such as a university). As such, when they are conducting official field research, it means all specimens are already de facto public property and are reposited in a research institution. Said researchers cannot use public money (i.e., research grants) for personal collecting, nor would it be permitted for them to sell, give, or trade away specimens that belong to the institution.  So, in many ways, the professionals have already been "vetted" as it is a fair assumption that any of the finds they make from field work will automatically be placed in the public trust. It would also be assumed they have the training to collect ethically and retain the integrity of the site. This is not to say that a dedicated and well informed amateur would not also do so, but there is that additional layer of accountability when it is tied to one's career. :) 

Gotcha!  Like a code of ethics for any other professional designation. I appreciate the heads up and further clarity!