Accessories for Air Scribe?

Joe Gandalf

Apologies if anyone has seen this before: I originally posted in another, older topic, but got no answer. I'm reposting as a new topic...

(Since the original post, I have sourced a rebuild kit, anvil & both chisels at a decent price.)

I found this forum while searching for information on an air scribe. A few months ago I found a CP9361 on a table at our local flea market. The guy mostly cleans out barns and sells what goodies he finds; his prices usually are rather reasonable, but this scribe cost me a whopping $4.00! So hooray! (And it is fully operational.) I had been using an old Burgess engraver to experiment with, but my tool selection just took a major jump upwards.

My question is: do most preparators simply use the scribe point, or is there an advantage to adding the anvil/chisel to the tool? If so, is there a preference for the round point or the flat 1/4" chisel?

I mostly play with thin sections and petrographic microscopes, but I have recently become very interested in fossils from the Permian and earlier. I hope to gain some degree of skill in preparing these materials.

Thanks to all.

Size and shape of the tool preferred depends on the fossil and matrix material. There is no one-size-fits-all. This is something that also depends on your style of prep and how aggressive you can get without harming the specimen. It is a "feel" for what you're doing as opposed to a carved-in-stone rule.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The answer to the point or chisel question is yes. :P I have a scribe with a chisel tip that is used for bulk matrix removal. The pointed styli are for closer work. 

The rounded stock stylus for the CP scribe is not optimal as a sharper point cuts cleaner. For the $4 investment, you could easily do the Paleo Tools upgrade and put the ME9100 front end and stylus (cost is somewhere around $100) and still be way better off than the rest of us.

You’ll need a relatively large compressor to drive that CP scribe.

• I found this Informative 1