Mazon Creek Tree Stump ?

Allenz

Hi all again 

Found this again in Wilmington sport 

club, Was told by a friend was petrified 

tree stump wanted opinions from some

of you guys that might have found something like this.

B739EB50-9480-41E9-A176-083BEB9A3437.jpeg

7ED8F03F-4CCD-46A4-8A34-29C676ECEE74.jpeg

It looks like that.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It certainly has the look of trunk section or branch of a tree.

But it was my understanding that during the Carboniferous Period ( Mazon Creek ), the "trees" didn't have the same woody texture as our modern trees do now. 

More like giant ferns and reeds.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

But it was my understanding that during the Carboniferous Period ( Mazon Creek ), the "trees" didn't have the same woody texture as our modern trees do now. 

Callixylon was quite wooden back in the Devonian.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

I agree. Looks like wood to me, but I was also under the impression that the trees were very different during that period. 

Here is is a link to the Illinois State Geological Survey page on plant life found there. It’s just a general overview of plants found in the Mazon Creek area, but explains the type of large fern like trees and scale bark trees that are found there. Too bad we don’t see any scaly bark on the specimen. It would be a lot easier to say for sure.

https://www.isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/plant-fossils

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I agree. Looks like wood to me, but I was also under the impression that the trees were very different during that period.

Then, as today, upland forests were quite distinct from wetlands and swamps. The more rare finds in most formations are thought to have washed in from surrounding uplands. 

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Then, as today, upland forests were quite distinct from wetlands and swamps. The more rare finds in most formations are thought to have washed in from surrounding uplands. 

I thought that during the carboniferous pretty much everything was hot, wet, and swampy, but I’m definitely not an expert on that period, or the plant life there in. Hmmm... :headscratch:Now you have me curious! Off I go to research! :D

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It is not uncommon for Carboniferous wood to have a 'modern' appearance.  Attached front left is from the Pottsville Fm. Pennsylvania and front right from Mazon Creek.

image.thumb.png.10813f2def7d237211b7aaacc3c82a19.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

15 hours ago, caldigger said:

True, but once stripped of the outer bark the interior looks "generic woody".

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Careful not swing the pendulum too far that way. There is still a lot of variation. 

26 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

True, but once stripped of the outer bark the interior looks "generic woody".

Fern and reed do not have the same "wood" grain that is shown here. And neither have a "bark" layer to be stripped off.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I could agree with fern, but not really sure of that.

What percentage of Mazon Creek is anyone sure of ?

Here is another posted long time ago 

Not exactly same but thought was some kind of tree bark

BC7EF9EF-70FE-4E1D-AECB-3FADCBB9FB83.jpeg

Thats a neat piece and I'm not familiar enough with cross sections to say one way or the other what type of plant material it is. Some of the Mazon Creek experts or other plant folks here on the forum may be able to pick up something in the end views you've provided without polishing the cross section. My brain is still looking for some external features that might help to sway it one way or the other..These areas look interesting but I dont think there is enough left there. 

5d0db1d20d560_UnknowntrunkfragmentsMazoncreek.thumb.jpg.1c1eb52c6e2b6956cafd7f07ae0d7489.jpg

Hoping someone can provide an answer for you for sure. Great find. 

Regards, Chris