Gizmo

Thanks for the review Jess!  :)

Troodon

Thanks Jess its on tomorrow 75 minutes and sunday 2 hr, not sure whats the difference but have them set to record on my dvd.

ashcraft

Liked the first three quarters, but tired of the final part of shows like this that tell me how evil people are.

Brent Ashcraft

Sagebrush Steve

I couldn’t watch it last night so I recorded it and just finished watching it.  I thought it was good.  I agree the title was a little misleading but the set of 4 topics worked well.  In roughly a half hour per segment they can only touch on each topic so lots of good stuff was left out.  But I thought they did a good job of explaining questions that were popping through my mind when I watched, like why would a dinosaur develop a wishbone before it could fly or why could they be confident the earliest ancestors to whales were really related.  They never used the word cladistics but it was clear in their descriptions that is what they were doing.  A good intro to the subject for the layman.  And yes, Brent @ashcraft I agree about the last part but that is a subject that seems to get woven into every documentary about anything these days.

MeargleSchmeargl

Haven't watched the entire thing, but did get a snippet of the very end. I'll go ahead and ditto that while the "save the earth" message is altruistic, it had "Cliche" written all over it.

MrR

I too watched the program, at least the first 3/4 of it. I kept waiting for the whale segment, thinking the whole thing was a whale segment, but it seemed to never come. Finally, as my eyes were getting heavy, the part on whales showed up. Interesting segments on crocodile evolution, etc., but I really came for the whales. I'll look at the programming to see if I can watch the last section while my eyes are still staying open willingly. 

The program that preceded it, on the Nile river, was very interesting as well. It too had elephants and crocodiles in supporting roles. Cheers.

Plax

I also thought I was tuned in to the wrong program and barely stayed awake for the finale. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute though. Agree with Brent and Steve regarding the evils of mankind bit though I guess I was too tired to recall it specifically.

ziggycardon

I hope to find it somewhere online, I read it was narrated by Lee Pace, so one of my favorite actors in combination with a docu about paleontology, have to see that! :) 

Mark Kmiecik
On 6/21/2019 at 12:00 AM, Sagebrush Steve said:

I agree about the last part but that is a subject that seems to get woven into every documentary about anything these days.

Probably only because it's true. I'm pretty sure the chimps and bonobos don't crave/carve ivory and aren't responsible for the decline in numbers of elephants.

jpc

I enjoyed what I saw of it as well, but I will repeat the complaint about the title... 

non-remanié

I agree about the lack of whale content but thoroughly enjoyed the program.  One tidbit I found interesting was how elephant poachers have effectively bred out the characteristic of long tusks from the natural population.    

aplomado
On 6/25/2019 at 5:51 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Probably only because it's true. I'm pretty sure the chimps and bonobos don't crave/carve ivory and aren't responsible for the decline in numbers of elephants.

I've worked with chimps.  They are violent creatures (infanticide among other things).

Randyw

I watched this show and I enjoyed it. I definitely wish it went into more detail on a lot of parts but overall I liked it. And if it gets new people interested in researching these animals then I can live with a little preaching at the end.