Who in CT does excursions?

Susie R

Hello!  I am searching for anyone who does paid fossil excursions in CT.  I'm coming there in July from FL.  Grew up in Branford.  My most prized possession was found at a geological camp when I was a kid 40 years ago... a dinosaur footprint and a fossilized rippled lake bed, I think from Hartford.  Now I have tons of FL sharks teeth.   Who can i pay to take my family hunting for CT fossils??

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

In answer to your question, ... No one, unfortunately. :( 

Access to fossils in CT is extremely difficult to obtain. 

In Connecticut, your only options are to go to the Yale Peabody Museum in New Haven, Dinosaur State Park, in Rocky Hill, or to Natures Art in Montville. 

Your best options for actual fossil collecting are to day trip over to Rhode Island, (Cory Lane, Portsmouth) or  upstate New York.

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh dear.  How disappointing.  I'm surprised to hear that finding any fossils is so difficult.   The camp I attended as a kid did a dig, I think on the Ct River. 

Was hoping for something like that.

7 hours ago, Susie R said:

I'm surprised to hear that finding any fossils is so difficult.   The camp I attended as a kid did a dig, I think on the Ct River. 

Was hoping for something like that.

How long ago was that?  :headscratch:

A lot can change over the course of time. :(

Many fossil localities have been built over, buried, are located on State, town, or on Private property. :shakehead:

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Connecticut generally is metamorphic (accreted terrain) added onto North America during the formation of Pangea.... the only sedimentary rocks would be the the Triassic deposit formed in a massive down dropped fault during the split of Pangea. When Pangea split it broke off in a different place leaving behind the added terrain which is now Connecticut and other New England coastal states. 

The closest fossils would be like tim said....upstate New York or Rhode Island. I recently heard you can’t go to the area where you can collect fossils in Rhode Island but that is rumor. 

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

How long ago was that?  :headscratch:

A lot can change over the course of time. :(

Many fossil localities have been built over, buried, are located on State, town, or on Private property. :shakehead:

Well, 40 yrs ago....

1 hour ago, Susie R said:

Well, 40 yrs ago....

...  It was a definitely a different time, back then. :) 

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Connecticut generally is metamorphic (accreted terrain) added onto North America during the formation of Pangea.... the only sedimentary rocks would be the the Triassic deposit formed in a massive down dropped fault during the split of Pangea. When Pangea split it broke off in a different place leaving behind the added terrain which is now Connecticut and other New England coastal states. 

The closest fossils would be like tim said....upstate New York or Rhode Island. I recently heard you can’t go to the area where you can collect fossils in Rhode Island but that is rumor. 

The Hartford and Deerfield basins are actually Jurassic in age.  ;) 

The Cory's lane site is not closed, as far as I know.  :unsure: 

There are a number of different places in Rhode Island that have fossiliferous outcrops, so maybe it was one of the others you heard about?  :shrug:

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

...  It was a definitely a different time, back then. :) 

The Hartford and Deerfield basins are actually Jurassic in age.  ;) 

The Cory's lane site is not closed, as far as I know.  :unsure: 

There are a number of different places in Rhode Island that have fossiliferous outcrops, so maybe it was one of the others you heard about?  :shrug:

Lol darn!!! I tried going off my old rusty unchecked knowledge lol. Jurassic!!

yea I must have heard about a specific site. Seems there is stuff to be found in RI still. 

North Attleboro, MA is also an option. You can’t hunt at the Masslite quarry anymore, but there are still other Carboniferous aged outcrops that the public can access.

I don’t believe Cory’s Lane is off limits. I hope? Unless something happened in the last couple of months that I didn’t hear about. I hunt there often and would definitely recommend that location if you’re interested in Carboniferous plants of all shapes and sizes.

The Jurassic aged rock of the Connecticut River Valley in MA/CT is a bit tricky to navigate. I haven’t heard of readily available public outcrops :/