Fossilized Coral? Western Colorado

GrandJunction

A user over at mindat suggested to me that these samples might be some type of fossilized coral.  I find them in western Colorado.

If coral, any ideas of the specifics or a link to where I can find more information?  If not coral, any idea what it might be?

Thank you

inCollage_20190623_003342231.jpg

@GrandJunction, your specimens seem to be some kind of calcite sinter or travertine. Or some fissure/cave fillings of carstified limestone. Like this example from the Paleozoic of Graz, Styria, Austria. Size is about 8 cm. They can the of highly diverse shape and color.

What are the other rocks in your area? Lots of limestone there?

Sinter.thumb.jpg.827cd8e5e2764cf02b60b0dfe0ad4810.jpg

Franz Bernhard

What formation and age are these from? What is the rock made of, calcite, quartz? Please take a photo looking down at the columns. A Chatetes sponge is a slight possibility if certain structures are visible in new photos. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, GrandJunction said:

western Colorado.

Are there Paleozoic rocks there ? As I recall Grand Junction is in a Mesozoic area.

Seems like I remember reading about stromatolites in the green river formation somewhere in the Douglass Pass area. I didn't have the time to look for them though. They might look like this with some weathering.