Large fossilized vert

diginupbones

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Location?

I'm guessing Nebraska's Sandhills. ( he's still working on what age that is ).

Given its size, I would likely say something like a large Titanothere / Brontothere.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

North central Nebraska. Still don’t know the age of deposit. I feel like I’m back in school getting caught not doing my homework.LOL

8 minutes ago, diginupbones said:

North central Nebraska. Still don’t know the age of deposit. I feel like I’m back in school getting caught not doing my homework.LOL

Not all are familiar with Your other posts or may not remember them when mixed with the multitude of other id requests, so it is important to include the location in every id request. It is important information needed when trying to determine what animals a particular thing could belong to.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I'm guessing Nebraska's Sandhills. ( he's still working on what age that is ).

Given its size, I would likely say something like a large Titanothere / Brontothere.

Thanks!  I would like to discuss age of formation/deposit a little more in depth. Would it be better to do that in a different area of the forum?

10 minutes ago, diginupbones said:

Thanks!  I would like to discuss age of formation/deposit a little more in depth. Would it be better to do that in a different area of the forum?

Discussing it here, as it pertains to this specimen, is welcome. :) Perhaps other members who have collected in your area will see this and offer their insight into the geology. In the interim, you may be able to find some information by going to the USGS website and obtaining a geologic bedrock map of the state, which would help in identifying the strata and age. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Geologic map of Nebraska:

Capture.JPG

Unfortunately, there are none that I can find that have a clear readable key.

Probably Ogallala Group.  

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

“The Nebraska Sand Hills are an inactive, late Quaternary, most probably Holocene, dune field (covering 57,000 km2)that have been eroded along streams and in blowouts, resulting in excellent lateral and vertical exposures of the stratification of dune and interdune sediments.” ( borrowed from another publication ).  That being said, I know that the Sandhills  were form approximately 12,000 years ago.  My question is,  when you find something in a deeply  eroded canyon, washout, river  etc. how do you know when that particular item was deposited? Would it be correct just to call the entire area late Pleistocene  or miocene? The Ashfall fossil beds are   located 100 miles to the east of where I am  are dated to 12 MYA and they contain the same animals that I am finding. 

These might be classed as "erratics" due to water transport. If the fauna associated with this specimen is indeed identical to that other formation of the Ashfall, then you may have a match. Care is required to ensure that this is the case. Not seeing any significant matrix on this specimen makes me leery of a full-throated endorsement that it would be Ashfall material. This would lead me to consider identifying the bone directly to rule out any other possibilities.

As you've provided the size, and it has a very distinct morphology, I'll tag one of our osteo-experts to give his thoughts on the basis of what you've provided thus far. @Harry Pristis

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer