Looking for unprepped material to practice on

JimmyDaJew

You're going to be much more specific. What kind of fossils are you seeking to prepare? The same processes are not universalizable across all fossil types. Also, what is your prep setup? Do you have an air compressor in addition to scribes and abraders, or are you only equipped with pin vices and other hand tools? 

Every prep is a gamble. Even those of us who field collect aren't alway entirely certain if the specimen is complete. There are things I put in my bucket that turn out to be incomplete as it cannot be known until it can be scribed. 

Stuff that is more guaranteed to be complete is definitely available on the popular auction sites. Expect to pay as much or more for the equivalent already prepped example. Keep in mind that some who sell self-preparation items are doing so because there may be flaws and/or it may not be financially viable for them to prep themselves.

You won't be able to avoid risk, be it buying matrix from U-Dig or collecting it yourself. Fossil collecting and preparation is rarely easy, but rarely is anything easy good. ;)

EDIT: I see you are in Western NY. Why not pay a visit to Penn Dixie and find material there to practice on?

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I’ve done a couple trilobites and am working on a piece of horn coral in some really hard rock... going to get some random pieces from the green river valley from my connection out there but really just am looking to see what I’m best with and sick with one for a while, so I want to practice on anything I can find 

I’m unclear when you say “what I’m best with.” Your local material sounds like good practice. As I already mentioned, have you visited Penn Dixie?

Generally speaking, the Penn Dixie material is some of the easier material to prep out of. Of course, Green River material is also easy because you can use a lot more manual tools with a high degree of success. Depends on what you're into and how much money you want to spend going down the prep rabbit hole. I started with hand tools a few years ago and now am in over $15k in my prep lab. Still don't have everything I "need" :/

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

23 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I started with hand tools a few years ago and now am in over $15k in my prep lab. Still don't have everything I "need" :/

I feel ya, bro. Ditto.

2 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Generally speaking, the Penn Dixie material is some of the easier material to prep out of. Of course, Green River material is also easy because you can use a lot more manual tools with a high degree of success. Depends on what you're into and how much money you want to spend going down the prep rabbit hole. I started with hand tools a few years ago and now am in over $15k in my prep lab. Still don't have everything I "need" :/

I would just add the caveat that ease of prep depends on which layers from Green River Formation are being worked on. 
The 18 inch layer or the split fish layer, with the later being easier to prep with hand tools.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

What Fossildude19 said.   and also, with the 18 inch layer its best to have an air abrasive unit even though hand tools can do the job, buts its a tuff job for sure.  The bottom cap is even tuffer than the 18 too!    The split fish layers are the best to learn with cause of the softer rock.  Good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 1

@JimmyDaJew.  I just went through a bunch of fish slabs today.  Keep an eye out for unprepped fish im going to put on the Sale part of the forum very soon, today even.  Good luck

RB

On 6/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, JimmyDaJew said:

I’m best with and sick with one for a while

I hope you feel better soon. :rolleyes:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!