North Carolina Trip

cinnoryb

This will be my first trip to North Carolina and am looking for suggestions and tips. I'm staying in Deep Gap (think that's the name), but totally open for driving a few hours to find some good spots. Hoping to find shark teeth and anything else i can. If anyone has any suggestions about places to go please let me know. I have a week there and want to make the most of it. 

Welcome to the Forum from the Granite State!

In Aurora, NC there is an awesome fossil museum that has spoil piles outside which people are free to fossil hunt in. I would highly recommend it. You can find tons of shark teeth in these piles along with other marine fossils such as whale bones and teeth, corals and stingray dental plates and barbs. 

I would also recommend Green Mill Run in Greenville, NC (not far from Aurora), it's a creek that runs through the city where you can find the same kind of fossils.

Have fun and good luck!

@PaleoNoel has some great suggestions, I would also highly recommend Aurora.  Many of the beaches are also good for sharks teeth.  Unfortunately for you, if you are in the Deep Gap I’m seeing, you are in the heart of the mountains and the fossils spots are way to the east, near the coast, so you will definitely have a bit of a drive (like 4.5 hrs). The western half of NC is old metamorphic rocks and fossils are rare. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the tips. Aurora is where I’ll probably be heading. Any suggestions on where to go there? Like specific places/ditches that are good spots?

1 hour ago, cinnoryb said:

Thanks for the tips. Aurora is where I’ll probably be heading. Any suggestions on where to go there? Like specific places/ditches that are good spots?

This is an excellent question, but once you have been to Aurora you will see why it will appear a bit comical in hindsight.  You can probably throw a rock from one end of the town to the other, but they have an excellent fossil museum and the pits of material that you can search through are right across the street from that, they sort of take up a good part of a block in the middle of town.  Just enter Aurora Fossil Museum into your search and that will get you right where you need to go.  The material comes from a large phosphate mine just to the north of town, but the mine is generally off limits for collecting.  Many members on here are very familiar with the area and can give you more insight into your finds once you have them in hand.  Enjoy!!