Fishing Trip at Alabama

Joe Salande

While on a fishing hike along the coast of Alabama, I was walking on large rocks forming a jetties to the gulf.

When  I looked down I came across some crinoid.byrozoan fossils.

I am trying to ascertain where these boulders came from as It will help me learn about these fossils.

Do any of you have a clue where they could be from .

I did post this question under "discussion" but didn't get a response relative to this question.

These are large boulders lining an inlet and I"m confident that they are not from South Alabama seashore.

Possibly if I could figure out where the boulders came from, It would help me figure out where/date of the fossils.

So the question is:

Where do you guys think these boulders came from? There large 3 to 5 foot boulders. They appear to be granite, but I'm no geologist".

Thanks 

Joe

IMG_9540.jpg

IMG_9460 (1).jpg

IMG_9486.jpg

I think that you are correct in saying that they are not from the South Alabama shore. These are carbonate rocks such as limestone or dolostone and probably Paleozoic in age

• I found this Informative 1

Likely brought down the Alabama River (or ancestoral version of) from the NE part of the state where the Paleozoic Rocks occur

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

10 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Likely brought down the Alabama River from the NE part of the state where the Paleozoic Rocks occur

as mined rip-rap (took a chunk out as I quoted but now realize that's rude, sorry about that)

On 6/24/2019 at 1:38 PM, Joe Salande said:

I"m confident that they are not from South Alabama seashore.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:38 PM, Joe Salande said:

. They appear to be granite,

As others have mentioned, you are correct, they are not “native” to the Alabama coast. They have been brought in to help stem erosion. The nearest limestone quarry is up near Auburn, but these could have come from just about anywhere as they were probably barged in. They are definitely not granite, at least not the ones with fossils as granite is an igneous rock, not a sedimentary rock. It’s always fun to find some fossils where you least expect them!

• I found this Informative 2

15 hours ago, Plax said:

as mined rip-rap (took a chunk out as I quoted but now realize that's rude, sorry about that)

Ah, didn't think about the possibility that the river had rip-rap.  Yup, that'll do it.

eta: I"m in no position to criticize someone for chipping off a piece of riprap....  :ninja:

George Santayana

2 hours ago, ClearLake said:

t’s always fun to find some fossils where you least expect them!

Ain't that the truth!  Amongst my most cherished fossils, because of their rarity, are my Hawaiian shark teeth and fish fossils, and my fossil porcupine fish jaw from Guam, for that very reason

George Santayana

We have limestone quarries in abundance here in the Cape Fear region but during the building boom of the late 90s we actually imported crushed rock from the bahamas. I can't see a string of islands having enough terra firma to spare but thats economics. 

2 hours ago, Plax said:

We have limestone quarries in abundance here in the Cape Fear region but during the building boom of the late 90s we actually imported crushed rock from the bahamas. I can't see a string of islands having enough terra firma to spare but thats economics. 

Seriously?  LOL. That's funny.  :D

George Santayana