Strange looking Fossilized "something "

Joe Salande

While on a fishing hike along the coast of Alabama, I was walking on large rocks forming a jetties to the gulf.

When  I looked down I came across some crinoid/byrozoan fossils.

I also came across this strange looking, fossilized structure.

Sorry about the poor photography, but I was fishing and not set up to take any good photo's.

These are two different findings, but similar in color/appearance, yet definitely fossilized.

Any thoughts on what you guys think this could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Joe

IMG_9549.thumb.jpg.3b1b03ef471c152e29eab1e60fffebbe.jpg

IMG_9549.jpg

IMG_9548.jpg

IMG_9530.jpg

It doesn’t really seem like a tabulate coral. There isn’t really any structure to indicate that. Almost looks like some kind of mineral rich deposit, concretion or something like that. I don’t really get a fossil vibe from it. That is a bryozoan rich matrix though. I very well may be wrong just making some observations...just a disclaimer lol :) 

@Rockwood is there something you’re looking at that makes it seem like a tabulate coral?

• I found this Informative 1

looks more like a sponge to me but could very well be minerals forming in a void in the rock.

Topics Merged.  

@Joe Salande

If no one answers a post of yours, you might just try *bumping it, rather than posting another topic on the same fossil. ;) 

*add a reply of your own to the same post. 
This brings it back up in the list for people to see. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is suggestive of several things, but there is not much visible that is diagnostic.
No telling where the jetty material was quarried...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

@Rockwood is there something you’re looking at that makes it seem like a tabulate coral?

I thought I could make out the distorted pattern of tabulae, but when I think about trying to outline the overall pattern it does sort of fall apart. 

Sometimes the mold of fossils like this is much more informative.

• I found this Informative 2