Back in 1992 0r 93 and then some!!!

RJB

Back in about 1992 or 93and for many years later and still to this day I took the whole family fossil hunting.   I always made it a priority to take the family on a fossil vacation.  I use to do 7 out of state trips for fossil hunting every year with one of those for the family and always in the last week of june or first week of July.  Always had to wait for the kids to get out of school.  Used to do trips that last up to 3 weeks.  Ha!  Now a 4 or 5 day trip is about all I can do.  The misses doesn't go with me nowadays but I cant help it, I need to get out even if I cant do much because of this stroke.  Ive gone on 2 fossil hunting trips already this year and still have 2 more to go.  One to the Fox Hills Formation in South Dakota for more of those super nice and high quality ammonites and then my last one to Washington to get more crab concretions and to aquire more of those rare and most beautiful agitized Aturia!!!  I used to keep everything but nowadays I only want quality and to grow the collection.

Trimmin down some fish slabs

DSCN0114.JPG.f6fa65e7add8b99c4376ee3658840993.JPG

Abssolutely LOVE this place!!!  This creek changed paleo history!!!

DSCN0115.JPG.68034ded338f2032b3289161389a0535.JPG

Was told that there would be a dusting of snow and a bit chilly.  It got down to -12 degrees and got 4 inches of snow that buried everything!!!  and yeah, we camped in that weather.  I didnt see it then but now I can see that I was one of the tuffest dudes alive!!!!

DSCN0124.JPG.9b399bf557ea9dbf52b3a17cbe985e46.JPG 

This was after the -12 degree night and I had to trim all the fish slabs.  once in the truck with the heater on my fingers and toes were numb and then came that god awfull stinging when they thawed out.  Lots of pain but came home with lots of fish!

DSCN0125.JPG.39e58adf162376bce891d6cad07db36e.JPG

This is back when I thought split fish were cool.  Not so anymore.  Just too spoiled now but sure had a heck of alot of fun back in the day!

DSCN0126.JPG.303e09d0e448bc9fe3bdb00e7fd32ada.JPG

• I found this Informative 15

Great pictures, that fish hunt in the snow seems pretty hardcore. Can't wait to see what else you'll post on this thread.

:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

Great pictures, that fish hunt in the snow seems pretty hardcore. Can't wait to see what else you'll post on this thread.

:dinothumb:

Kinda like december 2017 when I went knee deep in an ice cold creek in Summerville to get a whale vert. Im crazy enough to do it. :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I hope those boys of yours realize how lucky they are to have such a cool dude for a dad. My own dad instilled in a me a love for the outdoors that, to this day I still consider to be one of the greatest gifts a parent can give there kid. Now it's my turn to pass it on to my kids. My wife, 4 year old daughter and I  hit the road Thursday morning for a 10 day fossil trip.

• I found this Informative 4

20 hours ago, RJB said:

...Lots of pain but came home with lots of fish!

I hope you came home with all your fingers and toes too. I'm guessing your fingers turned out ok, seeing how good your prep work is. We do feel indestructible when we're young, don't we. Great photos. You were (are) a determined son-of-a-gun, eh.  :)

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Hi RJB, 

A friend had a lease on a fish quarry in the early 90's and he invited me and another friend to dig for a day and he wanted us to keep what we found.  I dug out a good amount of fish, but yeah, it was a cool day in September and my fingers were never more sore than that day.  I thought they were just cold, but no, they were just very sore.

Jess

7 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I hope those boys of yours realize how lucky they are to have such a cool dude for a dad. My own dad instilled in a me a love for the outdoors that, to this day I still consider to be one of the greatest gifts a parent can give there kid. Now it's my turn to pass it on to my kids. My wife, 4 year old daughter and I  hit the road Thursday morning for a 10 day fossil trip.

Yeah, it is definitely important. It seems like less and less people (today’s kids) spend time outside than decades ago. Too many people stuck in the virtual world.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Very nice.

Memory Lane is always worth a visit.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png