Marine worm-like fossil ID

Kcee

I came across these while digging bivalves and gastropods out of sandstone boulders. They look like some sort of worm-like specimen sitting on top of what appears to be a large snail fossil. I can't seem to find photos of anything that looks like these. Just hoping someone out there might know for sure what these are.

Thanks

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

They are serpulids - similar to these Rotularia from this site: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/our-science/collections/palaeontology-collections/fossil-annelid-collection.html

Ornament varies in serpulids and longitudinal striations are common.

Rotularia happens to be a spiral form, others are straighter.

I can't actually see a snail in yours though, I think it's just the way the rock has weathered. There is one here though!

5d11c01e67869_Screenshot2019-06-25at07_32_04.png.823998782d8fa3967d1631ee2051dab6.png

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Actually they are gastropods.  The extant species along the California coast is Serpulorbus squamigerus Link.

Mike

• I found this Informative 6

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

57 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Actually they are gastropods.  The extant species along the California coast is Serpulorbus squamigerus Link.

Mike

That'll teach me to be definite! But it's homeomorphic with some serpulids so, in the absence of stratigraphy, can we be sure which this one is?

Tarquin

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. Serpulids....well now I have a lot of info that I can use to compare things to. I have another stone that was littered with some that were a bit larger and smaller than these. It looks a bit like the photo that TqB posted. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.

Thanks 

Here's the photos that I was talking about in the last post. I'm not sure if you can make things out in the photos but these are worm-like but some are much larger than the ones on the snail. Most were curled up like a tiny snake. 

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg