UFO (unidentified fossil object)

Geoffrey abbott

Found in a loft during renovation. Wrapped in newspaper dating 1978, looks like a reptile but not sure, can anybody identify this for me.  I am not a fossil collector. 

E2BEE903-99EA-49D7-96D4-2F80857716B6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

We don't do appraisals on the forums (against the rules). But as for what it is, it looks like part of the skull & jaw of some critter. Hopefully someone here will have a better idea of what it is/was. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Not much of a UK fossil guy but we see so many ichthyosaurs ... I think that is one of them.  The verts and paddle bones I think are the tell. Amazing position looking at the underside (ventral side) of the skull. Anyone else ? @JohnBrewer @LiamL

Cheers,

Brett

Yes, a rather nice ichthyosaur piece. 

Lower Jurassic from the Dorset coast, I would guess from your location and the preservation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks ... it looked familiar.  :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

Yes it is part of an ichthyosaur articulated skeleton (skull, parts of thorax).

By having a very first view it seems that the bones in the darker matrix are real (no cast). Greyish matrix is filling-material. Typical preparation for ichthyos long time ago...

Have a look for some label - usually they have somwhere...could tell something about provinience...

Otherwise difficult to say where it is from (UK, Germany..). There was (and is) trading all over the world with these pieces, so you can find them in collections even at the end of the world..

Need to see more photos to find out species.

Wow, quite the find just laying around in a loft. That's an awesome looking partial Icthyosaur skeleton :envy:

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

We don't do appraisals on the forums (against the rules). But as for what it is, it looks like part of the skull & jaw of some critter. Hopefully someone here will have a better idea of what it is/was. 

Thanks Dave, sorry about appraisals I should have read the rules, silly me, thanks

2 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Yes it is part of an ichthyosaur articulated skeleton (skull, parts of thorax).

By having a very first view it seems that the bones in the darker matrix are real (no cast). Greyish matrix is filling-material. Typical preparation for ichthyos long time ago...

Have a look for some label - usually they have somwhere...could tell something about provinience...

Otherwise difficult to say where it is from (UK, Germany..). There was (and is) trading all over the world with these pieces, so you can find them in collections even at the end of the world..

Need to see more photos to find out species.

Thanks pemphix, you have been very helpful, very much appreciated, I will do more research but now have a starting point, cheers

39 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Wow, quite the find just laying around in a loft. That's an awesome looking partial Icthyosaur skeleton :envy:

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lower Jurassic from the Dorset coast, I would guess from your location and the preservation. 

Thanks x