Intestine?

Nick Yiu

Hello All.

Here's this interesting object most likely came from pre-historic animal. In any angle, It look so simmilar to Intestine..., Sorry, I don't had scientific term to give specific name on part of the speciment, and admittedly I'm short to elaborately describe in english what is this and that on certain part..., But please allow me to continue to detail the object even in simpliest wording i can easily define....,

The walling that makes each tube like structures and the opening in between is consistence and goes down the other end and naturally broken. Some of these tube are hardened in oval like shape, others slightly flat, and another end seems to have ruptured, flattened and exposes its inside...., Inspite the hard state, the surface feels soo rubbery. The black dots or tiny pores is hardly noticeable with a touch.

Either One believed it or not, and contrary to common perceptions, in my eyes and hands, object is a stonified Intestine hardened in Medussa effect not a corral or sponge.

Thanks for the opportunity. I somewhat hope that this very unusual specimen can help scientist to their further pursuit in understanding the past world.

Wishes you all well.

Edited by Nick Yiu

Hello All.

Here's this interesting object most likely came from pre-historic animal. In any angle, It look so simmilar to Intestine..., Sorry, I don't had scientific term to give specific name on part of the speciment, and admittedly I'm short to elaborately describe in english what is this and that on certain part..., But please allow me to continue to detail the object even in simpliest wording i can easily define....,

The walling that makes each tube like structures and the opening in between is consistence and goes down the other end and naturally broken. Some of these tube are hardened in oval like shape, others slightly flat, and another end seems to have ruptured, flattened and exposes its inside...., Inspite the hard state, the surface feels soo rubbery. The black dots or tiny pores is hardly noticeable with a touch.

Either One believed it or not, and contrary to common perceptions, in my eyes and hands, object is a stonified Intestine hardened in Medussa effect not a corral or sponge.

Thanks for the opportunity. I somewhat hope that this very unusual specimen can help scientist to their further pursuit in understanding the past world.

Wishes you all well.

post-2295-12558528553504_thumb.jpg

post-2295-12558529327124_thumb.jpg

I see no good reason to discount coral.

I agreed. Because South Phillipine very near to the Sabah Coastal location(Borneo,Malaysia), the most likely answer is, it's a 'blue' coral fragment. Where you found this coral actually? Your coral is interesting!

Last time I checked an intestine was a single long tube. Looks like a piece of blue coral to me. I'll pull a piece out of my aquarium and check.

I agreed. Because South Phillipine very near to the Sabah Coastal location(Borneo,Malaysia), the most likely answer is, it's a 'blue' coral fragment. Where you found this coral actually? Your coral is interesting!

Thanks Sir!

Actually, I found the object on the Pacific side of the Island. And yes, there's a lot of corral around it..., Corals however are fragile and breaks easily, but this is not the case with above attachment. It's hard with rubbery smoothness on the surface and those large hole aren't common to any Coral.

I think, we differed greatly in this instance, because i'm basing my visual observation on what my hand and feels help analyzed. This really makes big difference than judging from unreliable pictures alone..., I hope you all agree?

Thanks for sharing resources.

Its blue coral

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I do have to agree with others, it appears to be a dead coral fragment. Many corals "branch" out, and on your specimen you can see the cross section of broken off branches. Hard corals, like yours have a limestone skeleton, which makes them hard and 'stone like'. The 'pores' or small holes on the surface of the coral are the remains of the polyps. The reason for your coral having a 'rubbery' surface is because the polyps on the surface of a coral are interconnected by a thin, continuous mat of living tissue, which may still be present on yours.

Corals are very cool, happy hunting!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

If in-deed Coral, could it be fossil and how old it might be?

Fossil Definition in Wikipedia

Coral is difficult to guess the age if found on the beach. The age is easy to estimates if they came from the known geological strata.You can find Shark tooth and crab claw on the beach, which is possibly true fossil too. Good Luck...

If there is a coral reef near-by and you collected it on the beach i would say its most probably not a fossil. Especially as you say it still has a rubbery texture. This doesnt mean that it, or other coral on the beach isnt old...Many coral fragments are hundreds of years old, if deposited beyond the usual tidal zones (by storm surges) they can be un-affected by abraisonal/attritional processes for long periods and remain relativley unchanged.

This doesnt mean it is impossible for fossil coral to be found on beaches, many fossiliferous sediments lie offshore and are eroded and deposited by hydrological processes, and fossils can be found washing onto the beaches.

If you would like, PM me your adress and i will send you some fossil corals.

If there is a coral reef near-by and you collected it on the beach i would say its most probably not a fossil. Especially as you say it still has a rubbery texture. This doesnt mean that it, or other coral on the beach isnt old...Many coral fragments are hundreds of years old, if deposited beyond the usual tidal zones (by storm surges) they can be un-affected by abraisonal/attritional processes for long periods and remain relativley unchanged.

This doesnt mean it is impossible for fossil coral to be found on beaches, many fossiliferous sediments lie offshore and are eroded and deposited by hydrological processes, and fossils can be found washing onto the beaches.

If you would like, PM me your adress and i will send you some fossil corals.

Hummm! I see what you say, but I have to say there are some exceptions...

For instance in Philipinnes. There is a famous fossil beach with millions of fossils embeded in it, and it's situated on a beach no far away from an actual reef.Indeed, it is ON the water.

you are completely correct MB, there are of course those places where fossils can be found. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, i dont know much about the geology of the Phillapinnes. I have however heard of that deposit on Lizard Island, in QLD. No doubt there are exceptions....

Not a bad piece of coral... :D I don't think fossil though because of the 'rubbery' thing. Still it is something that would look really good on a shelf.

Here are a couple fossil corals.

post-1313-12560728026385_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12560728678302_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12560729323362_thumb.jpg

and a fossil sponge...

post-1313-12560729001565_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Not a bad piece of coral... :D I don't think fossil though because of the 'rubbery' thing. Still it is something that would look really good on a shelf.

Here are a couple fossil corals.

post-1313-12560728026385_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12560728678302_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12560729323362_thumb.jpg

and a fossil sponge...

post-1313-12560729001565_thumb.jpg

Dear Frank,

Thanks for sharing your comment. Yes, it's a good One to be on the shelf. But let me add further that specimen is not Coral. Each tube isn't branching out, and as i observed, were attached to each other like in real thing were tissues supported or glueing each tube closed to the other.

The bottomside of specimen as shown on this photo is flattened, and ruptured tube exposing empty but grayish inside gut. I'm sure, this can't be with coral since the later had all the solid fillings inside.

post-2295-12560978969438_thumb.jpg

ame='MOROPUS' date='20 October 2009 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1256048193' post='109106']

Hummm! I see what you say, but I have to say there are some exceptions...

For instance in Philipinnes. There is a famous fossil beach with millions of fossils embeded in it, and it's situated on a beach no far away from an actual reef.Indeed, it is ON the water.

[url="http://

MOROPUS,

Thanks for sharing above info..., You mentioned the "Barrier Reef", are you from AUSTRALIA? My place is frequently visited by Australian on a surfing adventure. for more info, email me at; yiunick01@yahoo.com

As for the topographical location of the Philippines, and in particular the place i'm in. I can actually tell based on the site where i found my wares, that ancient flood plains, rivers or watering hole frequented by ancient animals are now burried under hundred feet of sea water. So, it's not surprising to find wash-out fossils on the beach.

Thanks for taking time. Brst regards

No, no! I`m not Aussie, but I would like to! I was there once, and I fell in love with it inmediatly! I`m Spanish.

Sorry , I made a terrible mistake.

Krabi is located in Thailand, near Phi-Phi paradisiac island.

The only reference of the Philippine geology, is that most of the islands are volcanic (but I know for sure, that there are some sedimentary strata somewhere out there!).

No, no! I`m not Aussie, but I would like to! I was there once, and I fell in love with it inmediatly! I`m Spanish.

Sorry , I made a terrible mistake.

Krabi is located in Thailand, near Phi-Phi paradisiac island.

The only reference of the Philippine geology, is that most of the islands are volcanic (but I know for sure, that there are some sedimentary strata somewhere out there!).

Dear MOROPUS,

I don't know much of volcano existed in the Province, as there's nothing that tells on the surface. But for sure, we had sulfuric hot spring nearby. So, I guessed, we might had the thing under water.

Sedementary rock is also hard to find as it were mostly buried underwater. Anyway, I manage to stash three different class of sedementary rock found alongside FAKE fossil?, meteowrong? and these Triasic age ARMORED MUD BALLS.

Photos of Three classes of Sedementary rock below. I hope you knew something about it.

Thankpost-2295-12561266250913_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12561266973816_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12561267335678_thumb.jpgs for sharing time and resources. Best regards...,

Dear Frank,

Thanks for sharing your comment. Yes, it's a good One to be on the shelf. But let me add further that specimen is not Coral. Each tube isn't branching out, and as i observed, were attached to each other like in real thing were tissues supported or glueing each tube closed to the other.

The bottomside of specimen as shown on this photo is flattened, and ruptured tube exposing empty but grayish inside gut. I'm sure, this can't be with coral since the later had all the solid fillings inside.

Nick -

Trust me. It's coral.

post-1313-12565593700459_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12565594495142_thumb.jpg

Her are some pics of coral native to your area. There are many species and varieties of coral. I suggest you do more research and less wishful thinking.. :)

Be true to the reality you create.