SCSeaGal15

Found this antiquing. Was only marked "petrified rock"..It is black & charcoal gray in color with a vertical ribbed texture and some rounded ends. Measures 6.5" tall x 5.5" x 4" and weighs 8lbs 1.1 oz. Is it petrified wood ? Petrified cactus? Or something else? It's only letting me upload 1 photo. Took pics with phone and guess their too big. Will try to post more.

IMG_20190626_193350.jpg

Edited by SCSeaGal15
New info for tags

Here's photo number 3. See above. Pics from phone too big so can only do 1 at a time.

IMG_20190626_193414.jpg

It reminds me of Calamites. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

So I'm not a fossil expert at all so I looked up calamites. Yes it does look like calamites and the swamp plant was big so that would explain the large size if this piece! And the black coal shade. Some of the sides are even shinier black like coal. Thank you!

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

It reminds me of Calamites. :)

Yep!

I have to say "petrified rock" is a bit redundant. It's like saying "a rock that has turned to stone". :wacko: 

Nice chunk of Calamites by the way!

I know about the petrified rock label they had on it! I laughed when I saw that! I told the lady at the antique store that didn't make sense. She thought it was wood. I thought it looked like a cactus. Glad to learn about the calamites. I've certainly got my money's worth. Definitely $5.00 of fun and I think it's super interesting. It weighs over 8 lbs! 

$5.00! I would have jumped on it so fast I would have got friction burns from getting my wallet out so fast! Great find!

Haha I know! You can't get anything for $5. I've already had way over $5 of fun!

Edited by SCSeaGal15
Didn't know I couldn't ask price value opinions. Sorry!!

Nice find, and a great deal for a sweet specimen. "Rock that has turned into rock" is just precious. Personally I prefer liquified water. :default_rofl:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

17 hours ago, SCSeaGal15 said:

I know about the petrified rock label they had on it! I laughed when I saw that! I told the lady at the antique store that didn't make sense. She thought it was wood. I thought it looked like a cactus. Glad to learn about the calamites. I've certainly got my money's worth. Definitely $5.00 of fun and I think it's super interesting. It weighs over 8 lbs! 

You are welcome! ... and the price is gooood! :dinothumb:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library