Kevofossilhntr

Need some help identifying this tooth I found the other day. I thought it was a horse at first but the molar pattern is a bit different and it doesn’t seem to be as wide as a horse. Any thoughts? 

D16F07A0-BD1B-425A-B206-6398B1A9C38D.jpeg

The most common fossil horse , Equus .sp has very large square teeth, like an anvil and teeth like yours in the lower jaw that are half the size of the upper teeth. Due to its length , your tooth came from a young horse (approx 5 years old), Nice find!!

Search the forum for the word Equus. You will get LOTS of hits and can quickly see differences between upper and lower teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome thank you! That makes sense if it’s the lower why the tooth wouldn’t be as thick as the others I’ve seen. 

This specimen is certainly a lower molar of Cormohipparion emsliei. Looks like it is from an atypical non Bone Valley locality. Can you say where it is from?  Very nice tooth.                         

• 3 months later...

@Kevofossilhntr

Great tooth! I don't know much about horses, but it is worth bringing this to the New Jersey State Museum. Pleistocene material is really rare in NJ, so it is best to make sure that it is not modern.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal