anastasis008

Hello, so I was thinking about buying this piece but i would love it if I could remove the matrix from it to make it look better.

Is this possible?

Thanks-

Screenshot_2019-06-28-10-29-33-166_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.c2ce685a54d7f2c83595362e8325bb6e.png  Screenshot_2019-06-28-10-29-33-166_com.android.chrome.png

Removing matrix should not be a problem but I'm unsure about the quality of the teeth... If the price is ok, this could be a good practice piece 

• I found this Informative 3

8 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

Removing matrix should not be a problem but I'm unsure about the quality of the teeth... If the price is ok, this could be a good practice piece 

I agree but really could you please guide me on how to remove it with homemade tools? 

Thanks

Sewing needles may work in a pinch. You can acquire a pin vise rather affordably online, or make one (somewhat inelegantly) with duct tape as a handle. Dental picks are also quite easy to find cheaply online. Keep in mind that the process will be slow. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

yes, from what you see is the matrix in the jaw too hard to remove with a dental pick ? Also if i try to remove it will the teeth break? and if yes will i be able to glue them?

You can always stabilize the piece with paraloid or some other consolidant/glue. I've never prepared this material, but it looks as though what is seen here is possibly the full extent of what can be done with this one without risking removing the pieces entirely.

• I found this Informative 2

You're free to do so, but like I said, it seems fairly exposed already.

• I found this Informative 1

So what might happen is it may break and then it will have to be glued? Also is the matrix too hard? Like rock hard ? Because if I am not going to be able to remove it with homemade stuff then I might as well buy something else but I would really want to remove it to have the jaw by itself.

I've not worked with this material, so I could not say anything about the hardness of the matrix. That being said, if you don't have a lot of experience in fossil preparation, complete extraction sounds too risky. You might be better off sourcing affordable practice material first that you won't be too crestfallen if you don't succeed, or to simply enjoy the specimen in its context of being in matrix. 

Like Kane said, maybe you should practice on more affordable fossils. With the money you gonna save by not buying the mosasaur jaw, I would suggest that you buy some basic tools. Dental picks, paraloid b72, super glue and a cutter knife also come in handy. Once you manage the easy preparations, and you like to do those, you could save up for pneumatic tools (they are pricey) Also you gonna 'feel' the differences in matrix that way. Each matrix needs a different approach. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask

Natalie 

• I found this Informative 2

Yes i see your point the problem that i have is whether the matrix is too hard if it isnt then i will find a dental pick and try my best.

Did you already bought the mosasaur jaw? Like I said, the one matrix isn't like the other, but I 'think' the matrix around the jaw is not too hard.I wouldn't remove all the matrix, just clean a little bit around the teeth

No but i am thinking about buying it, what areas around the teeth should be cleaned? Also I have no problem with the matrix i just want it to look like an actual jaw so if by cleaning around the teeth more jaw is shown and distinguished from the matrix then its everything ok. Also thank you very much for helping.

You're welcome!

Just gently clean a little bit around the teeth, the jaw could be fragile, paraloid b72 is a great product to strengthen, so you could apply a tin layer on the jawbone. Good luck and during the preparation you can always post pictures of the progress 

@anastasis008 Your posted piece has the appearance of Halisaurus from Morocco. This old prep series may be of interest to you.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

This looks like the front tip of a left lower jaw. Judging from the curvature of the teeth it might be Halisaurus.

Should be very doable as a prep. But I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. You'll need good dental picks and cyanoacrylate or paraloid B72. Especially the teeth will likely need to be stabilised.

I personally only use cyanoacrylate for these kinds of preps.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If this will be your first preparation job, you will make mistakes. It is best to practice/learn on fossils of lesser quality until you are sure of your ability to do a good job. You can purchase the fossil and wait until you have enough experience prepping before you start on this one. You may not be able to make the specimen look better, but it is very easy to make it look a lot worse.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

From your pictures this LOOKS I repeat LOOKS like some matrix I have prepped pieces out of before. If it is then it is doable with dental picks. But like the others have said there will be breakage if you take this out of the matrix. I can already see 2-3 breaks in 1 tooth and at least one in the other. I would also recommend practicing prepping on a cheaper piece before attempting this one. I’ve been prepping for a while (not as long as these others) and I would expect to be doing repairs afterward. And it also depends on how expensive it is....

• 2 weeks later...

So I got this jaw that I was talking about and I still kinda want to clean the matrix and I read somewhere that if you put it in water it gets removed is this the case? Also I see white things like bones stuck in the matrix as well ( like those seen in the picture) are these bones or just rocks?

Thank you very much for your time.

Screenshot_2019-06-28-10-29-33-166_com.android.chrome.png

Moved to Fossil Preparation.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A lot of this Moroccan matrix bone stuff will crumble to dust if you try to soak it in water.  Removing/ exposing the bones is normally done with small dental type hand tools.

You were already given fairly good advice when you posted this initially in another topic. In future, you may wish to follow up with questions on the existing topic you made rather than start new ones for the same piece.

I've merged this topic with your original posting.