TqB

I was knocked out (figuratively) by this little nodule as soon as its finder and preparator posted it. It now sits prominently in my belemnite display cupboard. :)

Belemnites are my main interest which is the official reason I wanted it, but for some specimens it's just love at first sight. :wub: 

It's a Nannobelus acutus  (I think - it's not always straightforwards...).  

They're scarce in this subzone locally, and only very rarely crop up in classic Sinemurian ammonite nodules from Dorset. In fact, I know of only one other but I'm sure there are more out there. (At other levels, and elsewhere, it's a common belemnite.)

The ammonites are mostly Cymbites sp. (little, sub-spherical things), with one Asteroceras cf. margaritoides visible (there's another hiding under the belemnite).

I think it took vision to decide to prep this - cracked open, you'd just see common little ammonites and a broken belemnite which a lot of people might not bother with, but it's turned into one of the most aesthetic specimens in my collection.

Lower Jurassic, Black Ven Mudstone Member. Obtusum Zone, Stellare Subzone, Charmouth, Dorset, UK

Nannobelus: 4.5cm  Asteroceras: 1.8cm  Cymbites: 1cm down to 2mm - I love the hollowed apertures!

IMG_3421.thumb.jpeg.365bbd5e60bbc745daaf65b35051e354.jpegIMG_3425.thumb.jpeg.94acbb846ddb35f68b5c6bd773691f35.jpeg5d15cf22c73c1_IMG_34252.thumb.jpeg.a6dbc36a468799dc3c6d2c2dc3fa4cf9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

Tarquin

Cornucopia is a good description!

The preparator was able to retain much of the shell on them.. I like that.

I bet a lot of fossils that were thrown away because they looked like too much trouble, or too common, would have made nice things like this if only the finder saw the potential. Even if they didn't have the ability, they could pass it on to someone who did - maybe after several changes of hands it would eventually get to the right person?

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing!

A plate of Jurassic seafood, I am guessing ;):)!

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

I bet a lot of fossils that were thrown away because they looked like too much trouble, or too common, would have made nice things like this if only the finder saw the potential.

True!! I began to cut and polish rocks & minerals exactly for that reason: Turning anothers garbage to - at least sometimes - lovely items.

Franz Bernhard

Somebody dropped his ice cream cone loaded with goodness!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Cornucopia is a good description!

The preparator was able to retain much of the shell on them.. I like that.

I bet a lot of fossils that were thrown away because they looked like too much trouble, or too common, would have made nice things like this if only the finder saw the potential. Even if they didn't have the ability, they could pass it on to someone who did - maybe after several changes of hands it would eventually get to the right person?

Thanks! I quite agree - modern prep tools help a lot if you have the imagination.

6 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing!

A plate of Jurassic seafood, I am guessing ;):)!

True!! I began to cut and polish rocks & minerals exactly for that reason: Turning anothers garbage to - at least sometimes - lovely items.

Franz Bernhard

Thank you, it does look tasty!

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Quite nice indeed!

RB

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The Germans use a nice expression for something like this: “Klein aber fein”, which means “Small but fine”.

I like it! I only wish I could afford more of her work but I guess I'd better get my tools out more. :)

3 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Somebody dropped his ice cream cone loaded with goodness!

Fro a Jurassic Park kiosk!

Tarquin

14 hours ago, TqB said:

Thanks! I quite agree - modern prep tools help a lot if you have the imagination.

You don't even need much imagination - just enough skill not to destroy the fossils you're uncovering. Of course maybe a bit of imagination (or experience) on the part of the hunter to know that the rock they've picked up shows some potential.

• I found this Informative 1

35 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

That's a beautiful add to your collection! 

Thank you! 

Tarquin

Awesome,Tarq.

I keep repeating myself: STILL love your "coffeetable book" photography.

8 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Awesome,Tarq.

I keep repeating myself: STILL love your "coffeetable book" photography.

Thanks, Ben. Doesn't take long,  it's part of collecting really and the internet makes it worthwhile. :)

Tarquin

And another thing: excellent locality/Stratigraphy info.

You know the piece below?

36891.pdf

High resolution ammonite stratigraphy of the Charmouth Mudstone Formation(Lower Jurassic: Sinemurian-Lower Pliensbachian)
in south-west England, UK
Kevin N. PAGE

volumina jurassica VII

• I found this Informative 2

57 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

And another thing: excellent locality/Stratigraphy info.

You know the piece below?

36891.pdf

High resolution ammonite stratigraphy of the Charmouth Mudstone Formation(Lower Jurassic: Sinemurian-Lower Pliensbachian)
in south-west England, UK
Kevin N. PAGE

volumina jurassica VII

Thank you, I do indeed! Although this was a loose nodule (the only sort that should be collected there without permission!),  a knowledgeable worker has suggested it's from bed 86, probably upper, as on page 23, fig. 3. So "aff. margaritoides might not be quite right for the Asteroceras...

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

47 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

What a beautiful group, Tarquin!

Thanks, John. I was very pleased to be able to get it, and it doesn't take up much room!

Tarquin

Exquisite! 

The colouring and grouping is beautiful. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I’m at a lose for words, so you know that it has to be beyond awesome!:default_faint::drool:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Spectacular bunch! I wonder if "its finder and preparator" has a picture of how it looked before he started to work on it.

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Exquisite! 

The colouring and grouping is beautiful. :wub:

Thanks, Adam, you can't beat a Sinemurian nodule from Dorset and I've been looking for a belemnite in one all my life! Shame I finally had to buy one but we hardly ever visit there now. :)

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I’m at a lose for words, so you know that it has to be beyond awesome!:default_faint::drool:

Thank you! I'm a fan of this preparator. :)

5 hours ago, KOI said:

Spectacular bunch! I wonder if "its finder and preparator" has a picture of how it looked before he started to work on it.

Thanks! I don't think so, but she would have just seen a little broken open nodule with a few scrappy looking sections. I confess to leaving things like that behind!

Tarquin

That's a really beautiful piece!! Congrats on acquiring it :) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's a really beautiful piece!! Congrats on acquiring it :) 

-Christian

Thanks, Christian, I got in first for once. :)

Tarquin