Bev

I am posting this because fossil hunting is one of my favorite activities and I enjoy sharing it with others. In that spirit, other fossil hunting enthusiasts may wish to share their love of fossils with others, but do not know how to do that and/or the potential to promote fossil hunting as an outdoor activity. @GeschWhat and @minnbuckeye

GeschWhat, minnbuckeye, Todd, a friend and fossil enthusiast, and Emily, friend and geologist, all joined together to do just that in May of 2018 when the Minnesota outdoor adventures tv show came to my place, Whispering Winds, Spring Valley, MN to film a segment for their show - Minnesota Bound. Fishing, hunting, skiing are the staples of this show. This is their FIRST, I hope more will come, segment (this half hour show is like a TV show magazine featuring 4-5 segments per episode) on fossil/rock hunting! Link here:

http://mnbound.com/watch-mn-bound

Cops 'N Kids | Minnesota Bound #903

June 20, 2019

Please COMMENT on the site, after the video, and mention TFF - thefossilforum.com! The more comments, the more likely they are to find someone else in Minnesota for a rock hunting adventure!

We are featured in the second segment in, at about the 4 min. 30 second mark.  :-) This all started about 4 years ago when I was asked to set up a booth about fossil hunting at the "Glacier Stops Here" conference in Rochester, MN. Ron Schara was next to me and asked if he could someday come down and do a segment of his show on fossil hunting. Ron has since retired, but his daughter, Laura, continues with the show. If you have an outdoor adventure TV show in your state, please contact them!

I have a website: Bluffcountryfossils.net and a fossil adventure blog, so that is how I got known for my fossil adventures. The site/blog (which I need to figure out how to update!), was originally just a record of my personal fossil hunts, but then I found others were interested as well and found TFF and off I went into fossil fantasy land!  LOL  :-D People can find you, as a fossil enthusiast, with a website and blog.

I also do fossil hunts through Eagle Bluff Environmental Center Skills School and private hunts for families and other fossil enthusiasts. And I have developed 3 maps of the area, so that people can hunt themselves at proven sites.  I am disabled, after having had two strokes, and credit fossil hunting with a lot of my mental and physical comeback from the strokes. It certainly exercises your brain and body!

So, I thought I would share a few behind the scenes pictures! We gathered together the day before and of course went fossil hunting as this is the most prolific part of Minnesota for that particular adventure. This photo is at the famous, in 1800s Minnnesota paleontology literature, Wubbles Ravine with GeschWhat, minnbuckeye, and Todd. Mike, minnbuckeye, is holding Lori's, GeschWhat's coprolite book. I believe that was a trilobite find.  :-D

5d163fbcaf872_11WubblesRavine.thumb.jpg.7040bd0d3c2508192fbdb62ee6a182ae.jpg

Continued...

Admin please move if this is the wrong forum.  :-)

• I found this Informative 3

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Laura Schara found a Maclurites, an index fossil (found only in that time period) of the Ordovician.

5d1640f3b418b_1laura.fossilcu.thumb.jpg.2a980afda904a057ad974bf418eb3b0c.jpg

A shot of me showing Laura around my fossil gardens. I have "junk" fossils displayed in gardens around my yard to acclimate potential fossil hunters' eyes to what they are looking for in the field.

laura_bev.JPG.6f779a8974a3371613ac1673bf1bf726.JPG

In my fossil barn with (L to R) Mike, Laura, Bev and Todd.

5d1641fcd78fa_8mike.laura_todd_bev.JPG.7a1129ab2ea3e8a7679b9accef18a903.JPG

Lori chatting with Laura about fossil pooh.  :-D

5d16423d7cea0_5LorichattingwithLauracu.thumb.jpg.f658648bbc2e12f64b1bc1e040d4b185.jpg

Emily's son, Axle, chatting with Laura just before he "tasted" fossil pooh - sticky on the tongue.  :-D

5d164269c52ca_4axlewithlaura.thumb.jpg.2305682177c5a16361c567372a697721.jpg

Continued...

• I found this Informative 4

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Here we are at Masonic Park, one of my favorite places to take people to fossil hunt! Check out the FUN 26 minute documentary "Mysteries of the Driftless" on YouTube for an overview of this area of the country. This cliff shows both the Stewartville and Prosser members of the Galena Formation. It also has a trout stream (Deer Creek) from which have been collected mammoth teeth and American Indian artifacts as this valley was a summer encampment for over 1,000 years. The park features Algific slopes, a spring, a "cave man" cave and an abandoned quarry.

5d1643a58ece2_10masonicpark.JPG.8827091cbe3acefdf11fc05f86b6f3f3.JPG

5d1643d3267cd_9creekatmasonic.JPG.7d246cc158dfdc9c04d9e4d462329a24.JPG

Continued...

• I found this Informative 2

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Well, I might have to wait to finish the last two photos as I'm getting a warning about 3.95 mb on this reply3xs - . I'll give it a little time and post later. 

I hope you have enjoyed this, so far, and found it informative.  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Bev great write-up, can’t wait for you to post more. As an FYI, when I am doing posts and I run into the 3.95 mp limit, I just open up another topic on the Forum and then I go back to the one that I am working on. This allows you to add more pictures, I have to do this several times since my posts are usually picture heavy.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Bev great write-up, can’t wait for you to post more. As an FYI, when I am doing posts and I run into the 3.95 mp limit, I just open up another topic on the Forum and then I go back to the one that I am working on. This allows you to add more pictures, I have to do this several times since my posts are usually picture heavy.

THANKS! I never thought of opening up another topic!  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Just now, Bev said:

THANKS! I never thought of opening up another topic!  :-D

It seems to clear everything and it works for me.

Emily, the geologist, getting interviewed, with Lori and Mike on the rocks in the ditch.  :-D

5d1650d2f202a_6emilyinterview.thumb.JPG.dab66f5565422bcfa6e0863871bc8ae6.JPG

Mike, minnbuckeye, with one of his absolutely spectacular educational fossil exhibits!!! 

5d16513be4d05_7mikeandhisfossils.thumb.jpg.7b5d88f0f31a57a038de040eb0763d67.jpg

Thanks Mike for everything! Especially your expertise!  :-D

The End

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

51 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

As an FYI, when I am doing posts and I run into the 3.95 mp limit, I just open up another topic on the Forum and then I go back to the one that I am working on. This allows you to add more pictures, I have to do this several times since my posts are usually picture heavy.

Conversely, you can just refresh your internet browser (F5 on a PC)  or the circle with arrow symbol at the left of your browser's address bar.

Refresh.JPG

This will clear up the warning as well. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Conversely, you can just refresh your internet browser (F5 on a PC)  or the circle with arrow symbol at the left of your browser's address bar.

Refresh.JPG

This will clear up the warning as well. ;) 

You are getting too technical for this city boy- lol.

great report and project :)

thx for sharing this with us

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Very cool! I’m headed to check out the video now. :) Thanks for sharing with us, and your state!  

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Congratulations, Bev!

You've come a long way! :D 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 hours ago, Bev said:

Thanks Mike for everything!

What did I do?? You and Lori stole the show!!!!

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

What did I do?? You and Lori stole the show!!!!

Yes, they did seem to focus on the gals, didn't they... But "Thanks... for everything!" meant EVERY THING you do! IDs, dropping off fossils and rocks, sharing your adventures, helping kids all over experience the joy of learning about and finding fossils. YOU are a GEM of a person!  Thank you for being a Fossil Friend.  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

14 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations, Bev!

You've come a long way! :D 

Wow, Tim, you are RIGHT! What was it, 2011 or 2012 and I found my first fossil when a rock retaining wall was being erected in my backyard? Auspex even referred to it as the "Bev Formation".  LOL :-D  I found TFF and you ever so patient guys and gals have put up with all of my "what's this; what's that".  LOL  :-D  And now most people around here just refer to me as "the fossil lady" and everyone knows who they are talking about!

I still have a complete dead zone in my head for trilobites, but I do love to hunt fossils and I love to share that with others!  THANKS TO EVERYONE ON TFF!!!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

9 hours ago, ynot said:

Wonderful Bev!

You are a true ambassador of fossil fun!

Thanks!  :-D

• I found this Informative 1

Go to my

Pinned Posts: