Teeth from Sharktooth Hill (Bakersfield, CA)

ScottM

Hello, I'm new to this but hoping to get more involved. I went to the world-famous Sharktooth Hill (Bakersfield CA) last week and it did not disappoint! I am now trying to ID the ~150 teeth we found but I'm not very good at it (yet?). I did a bunch of the easier ones and had some on-site help from more knowledgeable collectors that was great. Lots of unknowns still, though. If anyone could offer any tips for how to go about IDing these teeth, that would be awesome (ex. Carcharhinus spp. Vs Negaprion? Or Isurus/Carcharodon planus Vs hastalis?)  I also suspect I have some Isurus oxyrinchus/desori but not sure how to distinguish them from the rest. So, please feel free to point out what you think any of the pictured teeth are, and/or what features I should look for to get better at this. I can send additional angles of anything that might be helpful, as needed. Thanks in advance!

STH unk plate.jpg

Uppers of C. hastalis and lowers or either hastalis or planus ( hard to tell which ).

I don't see any uppers of I. planus. They will have a definate "hook" to the blade and usually have rounded "Mickey Mouse ears" roots...usually!

20190210_081623.jpg

The teeth you see in the first two rows with the hook curvature are I. planus.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Uppers of C. hastalis and lowers or either hastalis or planus ( hard to tell which ).

I don't see any uppers of I. planus. They will have a definate "hook" to the blade and usually have rounded "Mickey Mouse ears" roots...usually!

Are the plants similar to the ones you sent me, or are those hastalis?

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

6 hours ago, ScottM said:

If anyone could offer any tips for how to go about IDing these teeth, that would be awesome (ex. Carcharhinus spp. Vs Negaprion? Or Isurus/Carcharodon planus Vs hastalis?)  I also suspect I have some Isurus oxyrinchus/desori but not sure how to distinguish them from the rest.

From someone who started from scratch, there is only one way... Find/handle/see the teeth you  want to identify.  Over years , it becomes obvious.

Earlier this year, I was really fortunate to acquire (with a little help from my friends) a number of STH Carcharodon planus  teeth. Like Caldigger, I do not see I. planus teeth in your photo.

IMG_4400.thumb.jpg.85ae3b3d52b482af4e4e05c84681c76f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

16 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Are the plants similar to the ones you sent me, or are those hastalis?

Honestly son, I wouldn't remember what I sent yesterday let alone months ago.

But knowing me ( and I do! ), I likely gave you both.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you for the replies! Just to clarify - the reason nobody is seeing the I./C. planus uppers in my photo is that those were among the few that I felt comfortable identifying so I didn't include them in my photo.

Am I interpreting the comments correctly then, that in my photo all the teeth are likely uppers of hastalis (ex. row F and most of row C) or lowers of planus or hastalis (ex. row A)? And there are no I. oxyrinchus/desori in the photo (ex. row D)?

Thanks again!