Fake Dicranurus Monstrosus Trilobite?

If it is real, then it is a God awful prep job!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

If it is real, then it is a God awful prep job!

That’s what I was thinking. The family thought it was real and got it as a gift, they paid good money for it. I won’t tell them, it’s the thought that counts.

1 hour ago, connorp said:

The majority of it looks completely carved to me, unfortunately.

It's not even carved. These are made in a mold by the thousands.

I was set up at a show across from a Moroccan dealer and a customer came up to me, saw my real trilobites and scoffed at the prices I had on them.

He proceeded to gloat that he got this awesome rare trilobite at that other booth for only $10.

I had to laugh because he bought it out of a box of at least 30 of the exact same pieces all identical in every way, even down to the same scratch marks on the base and everything. :duh2:

• I found this Informative 9

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

59 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It's not even carved. These are made in a mold by the thousands.

I was set up at a show across from a Moroccan dealer and a customer came up to me, saw my real trilobites and scoffed at the prices I had on them.

He proceeded to gloat that he got this awesome rare trilobite at that other booth for only $10.

I had to laugh because he bought it out of a box of at least 30 of the exact same pieces all identical in every way, even down to the same scratch marks on the base and everything. :duh2:

That’s a funny story. 

On 6/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, Votex said:

I am pretty sure that this is a fake but mind if I get some opinions?

I am pretty sure you are right... It's not even a good fake at that. Hope the family didn't pay too much good money for it. :(  

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 6/28/2019 at 8:27 PM, caldigger said:

Same thing for me but with the ammo's.  $5 and $10 for the common Madagascar ammos and $40 to $300 for the fox hills stuff.  Many people simply dont know their fossils very well. 

RB

5 hours ago, Johannes said:

I think it is a complete cast. But if you are willing to invest some violence, you can have a lot of fun with such "fossils": Violence to fake trilobites (pictures contain explicit content, might be frighten you if you are a fake fossil)

Wish that article was in English. But story told well through the pictures!

14 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I am pretty sure you are right... It's not even a good fake at that. Hope the family didn't pay too much good money for it. :(  

They paid 100 for it. The guy made it seem like it was a good deal by starting at what the real ones are selling for, then dropped the price. Last time I heard this guy is no longer at the location.

Edited by Votex

On 6/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, Votex said:

That’s what I was thinking. The family thought it was real and got it as a gift, they paid good money for it. I won’t tell them, it’s the thought that counts.

I would be inclined to let them know, as tactfully as possible of course, just so they don't waste any more of their money on things that you may not even want. Or just mention that if they are considering getting you a fossil to give you a gift card or cash so you can pick the one that interests you most. I wouldn't want my relatives throwing money away on things that have little to no value. I would rather see them spend $10 on something real.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

16 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I would be inclined to let them know, as tactfully as possible of course, just so they don't waste any more of their money on things that you may not even want. Or just mention that if they are considering getting you a fossil to give you a gift card or cash so you can pick the one that interests you most. I wouldn't want my relatives throwing money away on things that have little to no value. I would rather see them spend $10 on something real.

I have showed them a reliable place to get fossils if they ever choose to. 

1 minute ago, Votex said:

Excellent -- I hate people wasting money, especially when it's enough to eat well for 3 days.

Mark.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:06 PM, Votex said:

I did this with my wife when she first started looking at buying me fossils as gifts. Worked out great! ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I did this with my wife when she first started looking at buying me fossils as gifts. Worked out great! ;) 

Now if only I could figure out how to get my wife to buy me fossils.....

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Randyw said:

Now if only I could figure out how to get my wife to buy me fossils.....

Not worth it -- you would have to give up all your other bad habits hobbies. :D

Mark.