minnbuckeye

My last excursion into the fossiliferous rocks of SE Minnesota turned up this small plate of crinoidal material. I kept it because the one center piece looks a bit like a small crinoid cup to an uneducated eye (mine). This is TINY, about 3 mm in width. Cup?? If so, any genus/species to attach to it. Thanks for looking. @crinus

Mike

2019-06-031.thumb.jpg.b7b105ac7863fd8839b1eb1e865c3982.jpg

Yes looks like the end of the stem and the basal / infrabasal plates of a calyx to me. 

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

crinoid stem pieces

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Crinoid parts for sure. As far as genus and specie is concerned, you are best off researching which formation you found them in and then finding out what is found in that formation and comparing your specimen to those. You may still not have enough "bits" to make a positive ID.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I don't think those plates are part of the calyx.  The stem goes through it.  I think it is part of the stem.  Is this Ordovician?  I have never seen stems like that in my Ordovician.

Joe

In my opinion, all the visible parts are crinoid pluricolumnals.

Very nice find! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@crinus, Just to yank your chain a bit, read my heading-

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@crinus, Just to yank your chain a bit, read my heading-

Never read the fine print.